C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Drag Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 Capri Blue
Drag Day

I had the opportunity a couple of days ago to participate in the first official drag event in Saudi Arabia. The JRW (Jeddah Race Way) ran a three day test event prior to their grand opening next month. Nearly every car enthusiast in town showed up in their ride, but unfortunately the weather conditions where not ideal with strong winds and high humidity, topped with temperatures exceeding 100F. The track is located in the middle of the desert so dust and sand build up seem to recurrently occur. I ran my CLS55 (US Spec.) and recorded my best time in the first run, 12.774@113.7. I ran without my spare wheel, jack, and tool kit. My fuel tank was a quarter full with octane booster additive. The car was set on Sport II setting with traction on. I didn’t use the power brake technique and just tried to manage a very smooth and gradual acceleration launch.

Other best times achieved by my friends’ cars were:

M6 13.2@??? (Without Launch Control.)
M5 13.184@113.4 (With Launch Control.) I ran with him and we were neck to neck till the finish, due to his better reaction time. I got a 13.015@112.0 in that run.
SL55 13.1@???
E55 13.2@???. He had trouble launching the beast, and couldn’t manage a better time. I thought he’d to better than me especially that Gulf Spec. cars come with 476hp.
GT3 14.36@108. I ran with him, he had a dismal start and I blew him away!
EVO9 12.7@109. Tuned and produced close to 400hp.
Z06 12.5@120. It’s a struggle to launch that monster!

After seeing those numbers, I’m kind of content with my car’s stock performance (for now.)
I’m considering to do MKB stage I, with compressor cooling kit from EvoSport. I felt that heat soak had a significant effect on the compressor engine, because I kept running slower times and trap speeds after my first run. Any advice?

…and by the way, I tried the ECU transmission reset technique and it didn’t show any improvement!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:49 AM

CLS55 AMG
I think the octane boost may have slowed you down. I've found on SC cars it just runs hot and melts your cats. Just use the best octane you can get, if not race gas.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:35 AM

CLS 55 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by BlackCard
I think the octane boost may have slowed you down. I've found on SC cars it just runs hot and melts your cats. Just use the best octane you can get, if not race gas.
No way!

Just by increasing fuel octane rating on SC cars can cause damage to the cats from over heating? How’s that possible?

If true, I should immediately stop using that stuff!