Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
now for a diy on power folding mirrors! hehe
Old 08-08-2006, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55
Kevs the MAN

Damn Kevin,

You by far take the award on DIY. Very clean and detailed work and instructions. Congrats on a job well done.

CLOS
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Originally Posted by jikjak
now for a diy on power folding mirrors! hehe
Next weekend .. just kiddin

Originally Posted by clos
Damn Kevin,

You by far take the award on DIY. Very clean and detailed work and instructions. Congrats on a job well done.
CLOS
Thanks Clos, its appreciated
Old 08-09-2006, 03:25 PM

CLS55, 335i, A6, Prius
Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Sounds like the V1 install is perfect, as long as you don't block rear visibilty with the sensor thats great. I bought the locks that have the star logo on it, and the round thing is chrome on mine..

Hey Kev,

I'm having the darndest time finding that particular model euro comand. And now that the "stolen" issue has arisen, I think I"ll just let Steve from MBenzNL do it all the next time he's out here. These are the mods Steve will be performing for me:

1. Euro comand w/tv tuner/game console
2. Power folding mirrors (although I believe the CLS auto-folds everytime you lock the doors...cool!!) w/no blind spot mirrors
3. Lighted AMG door sills (like yours)
4. Interior motion detector
5. Distronic (I only have Parktronic)

As you can tell, I love the gadgets..but sadly do not have the time to invest in dyi projects...I have had the whole zaino kit in the garage for over a month now and curse myself everytime I walk by...

The reason I quoted this particular posting is the chrome locks. My detailer must have put something on the doors because the chrome rings won't stick, no matter what I do. What do you recommend I use to clean it so that the 3M will stick better...thanks a bunch, and I'm going to keep you posted on my search for the GT3...In fact, I'd like to get together with you and run the GT3 and the F360 Stradale and F430 Challenge and get your opinion...I'm going to buy more track time up in Sonoma...talk to you soon
Old 08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Yea that model Euro comand is tough to find, but Steve will take care of you nicely. If you have a Ipod, you might want to add the Ipod kit was well, since he's running wires from the trunk to the front, it won't to much more work to add the Ipod kit, that is if you use one. As far as the door locks, you should just be able to clean it off with any cleaning solvent, even windex would work, something acohol based. But sounds like you need some new 3M double side tape, one thing you should check is to be sure they are not popping off when you lock and unlock the doors. If the round part is hitting the lock, that will pop it off as well.
That would be awesome to run your cars on the track, I'm up for that any time.
Shoot me a PM again, I cleaned out my inbox and lost your number.

Kevin
Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Kevin,

Thanks for the great instructions. I got the same set but illuminated with BRABUS, and installed the front driver and passenger sills tonight. Tomorrow I'll do the rear sills along with a Brabus illuminated shift knob.

I wound up connecting the front sills without cutting into the factory wiring at all. After removing the plug from the footwell lights, I just inserted the bare wire ends from the sills into the plug's prongs (black > brown, red > pink/yellow), then replaced the plug into the footwell light.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Great Eric, glad it worked for you. Did you end up drilling a hole, or just running the wire under the black rubber sill?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 PM

2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Great Eric, glad it worked for you. Did you end up drilling a hole, or just running the wire under the black rubber sill?
No drilling. I just ran the wire under the felt/rubber molding and then into the crease between the door molding and the outside part of the footwell. The clip at the end of the sill wires just makes it into the area under the dash, and there is plenty of wire from the little electronics box to connect to it and then to the plug of the footwell lamp. The wire from the sill is very thin, I cannot see any bumps and there is no wire visible anywhere

If you want illuminated sills this kit is a "no brainer" -- it's cheap, installation is easy for anybody (hardest part for me was prying off the old sills), and it looks dope! The AMG sills were chromed ABS plastic, these are brushed aluminum which looks much nicer. Plus you can choose between AMG, Brabus, Lorinser, and Carlsson.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
Kevin,

Brabus illuminated shift knob.
any pics of that bad boy Eric?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
No drilling. I just ran the wire under the felt/rubber molding and then into the crease between the door molding and the outside part of the footwell. The clip at the end of the sill wires just makes it into the area under the dash, and there is plenty of wire from the little electronics box to connect to it and then to the plug of the footwell lamp. The wire from the sill is very thin, I cannot see any bumps and there is no wire visible anywhere

If you want illuminated sills this kit is a "no brainer" -- it's cheap, installation is easy for anybody (hardest part for me was prying off the old sills), and it looks dope! The AMG sills were chromed ABS plastic, these are brushed aluminum which looks much nicer. Plus you can choose between AMG, Brabus, Lorinser, and Carlsson.
Excellent Eric, glad to hear you did it, I knew you would!

Last edited by Kevin M.; 08-15-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bipasha493
any pics of that bad boy Eric?
Pics to follow once I install the rear sills and also the Brabus illuminated shift knob, which arrived today but UPS still has it since no one was at home and they are insisting on a signature release in person
Old 08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Kevin,

First, thank you for the excellent write up!

Next, I got some questions for ya!

I have an SLK55 with the Ipod kit. I suffer the same problems regarding low volume levels. Now, my Ipod is located in the center console between the seats. I have read over your post several times and I'm not sure I fully understand the remedy.

1) It looks like you have to disconnect the 3-wire from the back of the Command and reconnect the original 3 wire. I believe this allows you to utilize the AUX input again. Correct?

2) Is it necessary to have both the Ipod Connection (at the base of the unit) AND the headphone output connected at the same time? Is this the only way? If so, I'll need to relocate my Ipod from the center console to the glove compartment.

3) I did a search regarding the Ipod volume issue and resolution. I couldn't find anything. Could you point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Dan
Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by dsb
Kevin,

First, thank you for the excellent write up!

Thanks!!

Next, I got some questions for ya!

I have an SLK55 with the Ipod kit. I suffer the same problems regarding low volume levels. Now, my Ipod is located in the center console between the seats. I have read over your post several times and I'm not sure I fully understand the remedy.

1) It looks like you have to disconnect the 3-wire from the back of the Command and reconnect the original 3 wire. I believe this allows you to utilize the AUX input again. Correct? Yes

2) Is it necessary to have both the Ipod Connection (at the base of the unit) AND the headphone output connected at the same time? Is this the only way? If so, I'll need to relocate my Ipod from the center console to the glove compartment. Yes again, ipod connection has to be attached in order to control the Ipod with the steering wheel. You can disconnect it and just have the AUX plugged into the headphone jack but you then have to control the ipod as if it were in your hands. You wouldn't have to relocate your ipod, you could just run the headphone jack from the ipod in the center all the way over to the AUX jack in the glove box

3) I did a search regarding the Ipod volume issue and resolution. I couldn't find anything. Could you point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Dan
Old 08-19-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 s550 sport, 2017 e300 sport
Talking Big Up

All Hail Kevin M the mod king , Kevin thanks for all the write ups on mod installs around here lately ur cls is quickly becoming one of if not the most beautiful cls' i've ever seen. Good **** keep it up
Old 08-20-2006, 03:09 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Kevin,

Thanks again for the response. I definately appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by hsandhu21
All Hail Kevin M the mod king , Kevin thanks for all the write ups on mod installs around here lately ur cls is quickly becoming one of if not the most beautiful cls' i've ever seen. Good **** keep it up

Ahh shucks thank you

Originally Posted by dsb
Kevin,

Thanks again for the response. I definately appreciate it!
No prob, glad to help.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 PM

2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
Hey Kevin,

Just a quick question. Do the door pins flush with the surrounds when you lock the car? Thanks!

Sounds like the V1 install is perfect, as long as you don't block rear visibilty with the sensor thats great. I bought the locks that have the star logo on it, and the round thing is chrome on mine..

Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by mbenz1
Hey Kevin,

Just a quick question. Do the door pins flush with the surrounds when you lock the car? Thanks!
If I recall they protrude up just a tad, not completely flush.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:55 PM

2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
Thanks for the info. Kevin.

If I recall they protrude up just a tad, not completely flush.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Kevin,

Have you had any IR glass vs. V1 detector issues with your set up? I am about to install a V1 in our S500 and am wondering what effect the IR glass in the side windows and rear glass will have on it's performance. With regard to the windshield, The S class has two areas either side of the mirror that allow electronic pass thru. Here in Florida we have Sun Pass which is an electronic toll gizmo and it has to be in one of those two spots...otherwise it will not work. I will mount the V1 in one of those two spots but am dubious about the V1's ability to work properly through the other glass.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by sprink49
Kevin,

Have you had any IR glass vs. V1 detector issues with your set up? I am about to install a V1 in our S500 and am wondering what effect the IR glass in the side windows and rear glass will have on it's performance. With regard to the windshield, The S class has two areas either side of the mirror that allow electronic pass thru. Here in Florida we have Sun Pass which is an electronic toll gizmo and it has to be in one of those two spots...otherwise it will not work. I will mount the V1 in one of those two spots but am dubious about the V1's ability to work properly through the other glass.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.
I have a V1 in each of my cars, when I pull into my office there is a department store across the street, all 3 cars go off in the same spot when I turn the corner, so this tells me that the windshield isn't a factor in the CLS. I even have the entire front windshield tinted on the CLS, not the other cars.
You shouldn't have a problem, I believe radar is different then the toll pass gizmos. Also a good way to test you laser, is get a remote control from the house and hit some buttons on the remote, the laser should light up on the V1.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,
I did the Ipod volume fix this evening. I read the post around 7pm, ran out to Best Buy to buy a monster cable for the headphone jack, was back home by 7:30 wiht the fix done by 8:30. Best fix ever for those who want to spend <$20 and are willing to take 45 min out of their day to correct an issue the factory should have thought of. Everything sounds better, bass, treble, and volume. Thanks for the tip and instructions.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
I did the Ipod volume fix this evening. I read the post around 7pm, ran out to Best Buy to buy a monster cable for the headphone jack, was back home by 7:30 wiht the fix done by 8:30. Best fix ever for those who want to spend <$20 and are willing to take 45 min out of their day to correct an issue the factory should have thought of. Everything sounds better, bass, treble, and volume. Thanks for the tip and instructions.
Glad to hear it, your welcome!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S,

Where did you get the lock pins and rings?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Weekend Project Part II Illuminated Sills, V1 & Ipod Fix