Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

First Mercedes CL or CLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POS 96 Subaru Outback
Red face First Mercedes CL or CLS?

Since I finally started making money, I've decided to save up to purchase a Mercedes. I really like the style of the 2002+ CL class and the CLS, but I'm having a hard time deciding on which specific model. The new CL and last years are both very appealing, since I have no need for 4 doors (I'm 20 yrs old) and I like larger sized cars. I would feel too old (no offense to anyone) driving an s class, unless it was the s65, but thats too expensive right now. The CLS however, especially the 55 is in my mind one of the best deals out there. I've driven an 03 E55 and was ecstatic at the power and the whole experience, and to me the CLS just fits my style better, but from what I've heard it has a similar, if not better driving experience. I'm not looking for the BMW "road feel", I want something that rides very smooth for daily driving, isn't hard to figure out, and yet is speedy, which is why I like the CL over the SL. To me the CL seems more practical and I believe it has a better interior. Does anyone know if the CLS has Active Body Control available? Anyway, if anyone has any advice or feedback I'd appreciate it. I'm basically looking for something maybe 1-3 years old, and I'm willing to spend anywhere from 50-90k

----Mark
Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I went through a similar decision earlier in the year. Since I have two little girls still in car seats, the CLS was an easy choice. If the kids were a bit older and didn't need car seats, I still would have gotten the CLS but had the W216 been available the decision would have been much harder.

The W215, which was and still is a very good looking car, is getting a little dated. Depreciation will only accelerate once the new body style arrives. To many people, myself included, the W219 is among of the best looking cars on the road, particularly with the AMG or Lorinser body kit. The only sedan sexier than the CLS will be the Aston Martin Rapide. They are not available yet, and at $250-300k you won't be seeing many of them in the future!

Now the W216 is another story. Of course I haven't seen it in person but I think the pictures look amazing. It has all the new gadgets and interior accoutrements from the W221. The new V8 is a very solid engine, much more powerful than the old one with no sacrifice of fuel economy. With just ECU tuning you may get pull another 40-50HP or more from it. It potentially is good for 500-600 HP with aftermarket F/I which no doubt will be available before too long.

Once nice thing about the CLS is that some cool mods are easy and fairly cheap to do -- i.e. illuminated door sills, Euro COMAND with DVD in dash, lowering module, etc. The Euro COMAND is by far my favorite mod ! Modding the new CL & S may be much more difficult or impossible because of the new control system.

The CLS55 was a real bargain among the AMG offerings, and remains so used even though they have held their value quite well. One of the other forum members has a black CLS55 for sale right now with an awesome set of wheels and the Kleemann K1 kit, you may want to check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-29-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
ON PROBATION

My Parents-06s500-just sold,06CLS55-K4,2006 R350
I didnt know that Speedthrillz was selling his 55?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:52 PM

POS 96 Subaru Outback
Talking Tough Decision

Thanks for the experience, and the link, unfortunately, I do not have the money as of now, and so probably will not be able to buy the car just yet. If I don't make any other major purchases in the next six months, I'll then have plenty to spend. I think that ultimately, the price will probably determine what I purchase, since I work mainly on commission (I'm a Business Broker). I'm assuming that I will do average, but if I do close on one of my major deals, I want to limit my purchase to no more than 150k. Assuming I have enough to buy the new CL, by that time it should be available, and I'd like to get it tuned by Brabus or Kleemann if thats available.
One of the things I noticed is that the AMG E class and CLS class are currently Mercedes fastest cars under 100k and to top them I believe that you have to spend 150k, which is a big difference. Is it really worth it? and can I get ABC suspension on the CLS? Once again, thanks for the responses.

Also, which car is more likely to be ticketed? or is that just a silly question.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
No ABS in the CLS. If you're tall you might want to steer clear of the CLS. It looks cool and all, I bought one when they came out. I think I have a permanent dent in the side of my head from the number of times I banged my head getting in and out and the top of my head is flat from hitting my head on the roof every time I went over a bump at speed. The CLS didn't last long, I traded it after 7 months for an E55 and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I'm 6'2" and haven't hit my head once yet. Risk of that is high for your rear seat passengers though, unless they are little people. Head room isn't a problem for me either, although I do have the seat all the way down and also a bit reclined (which happens to be my preference anyway). I think the CLS has no panorama roof option because of the limited headroom.

If the CLS has enough headroom for you, it is a much sexier ride than the E, certainly it gets a lot more attention. My car is dropped so it is very low yet quite long and wide, and has the lines of a sports car. Not to criticize the E but it's shape is that of a typical family sedan, usually not what a young guy wants for cruising around town. Beneath the skin the E and CLS are basically the same car, a good thing since the E had been out for a while and the quirks have been fixed. I also think the CLS has a better interior although that may no longer be the case with the 2007 models.

The SL, S, and CL cost a lot more than the CLS and none are faster. (In fact of all the 55K cars the E may be the fastest of all as it is the lightest). With the S you are getting a lot more room. The SL offers only two seats but has the retractable hard top. The cost premium of the CL is a lot harder to justify from a practical standpoint.

I'm still undecided if I like the new COMAND system in the S & CL, versus the individual controls of the E/CLS/SL. I really enjoy the CLS/E interior and controls, ergonomics are pretty good and once you get accustomed to the layount it is easy to control most things without taking the eye off the road.