C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

AMG Challenge at Homestead - Report + Photos + pics of the new watch! Cool CLS pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
AMG Challenge at Homestead - Report + Photos + pics of the new watch! Cool CLS pics!

Hey guys

well I finally did it - check out the full report and pics PLUS a bunch of good CLS55 and CLS63 pics as well at

AMG Challenge Thursday Oct 5th

AMG Graduate Challenge Saturday Oct 7th

And here is the pic of the thing I have been chasing! In the pic with me is Caroline Dura from IWC and main man Tommy Kendall
Old 10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Awesome write up Danny, looks like you had a blast even though it was your 7th time. And congrats on winning the IWC watch, what a great accomplishment. So what did you supposedly do to **** of the other instructor during open lapping
Old 10-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Awesome write up Danny, looks like you had a blast even though it was your 7th time. And congrats on winning the IWC watch, what a great accomplishment. So what did you supposedly do to **** of the other instructor during open lapping
hey Kevin thanks for the props - much appreciated

as for the incident, on the Saturday morning, Open Lapping was the first module for the Red Group. My first right seater was Bobby - a cool instructor who remembered me from Lime Rock, and quickly figured I knew what was going on and as I said, he let me have my head of steam, and he just coached me as we went along. Good and very enjoyable.

Several times we came on the back end of slower traffic, and he would radio the car ahead to let us through and as soon as we were on the straight and we got the wave-by I would squirt the throttle and pass the slower guy, raising my hand to say thanks - all very civilized just like any other driving school I have been to.

My second session on open lapping was with another well respected and very accomplished instructor. Same thing again - it all started good and then we came on the back of slower traffic. He radio'd ahead for the wave-by and as we entered the back straight the slower driver pulled over to make room and gave us the wave-by. All very normal. But as I squirted the gas to pass the slower car, the instructor next to me just started swearing at me - at first I thought it was a joke, until I turned to mnys side to see his face and I realized that he was PISSED. I apologized for whatever I had done wrong (and I still have no idea what it was) and he proceeded to berate me heavily. I just backed off the throttle and brought the car in the next lap - got out the car and walked away.

I was literally in a state of shock. It took every ounce of self restraint not to walk over to AMG and ask for my money back and get the hell out of there. Anyway I calmed down and waited to see what the instructor would do.

After a while I realised he wasnt going to do anything, so I walked over to him to give hime the opportunity and once again I apologized (still not sure what I did wrong) and once again he proceeded to sternly lecture me. I listened for a while, apologized again and started to walk away - only as I was walking away did I hear the words - "sorry I cussed at you".

Anyway I put it behind me carried on and had a great day (except for that one module). Its a good thing I stayed as I won the watch.

On Saturday at the Graduate day it was purely by chance that I climbed into the same instructors car for a different module. At this point he did openly apologize again but you could still tell that there was tension there.

Anyway no big deal - I got thick skin - its just a bit surprising at an event where you are surrounded by customers who regularly spend $100,000 plus on cars with the AMG brand.

As far as I am concerend, its not what he said its how he said it. Even if I had screwed up royally (which as far as I know I hadnt), there is still an appropriate response - "whoa there tiger! Not so fast, lets cool it down a bit" or something like that LOL!!!! Cussing at the top of your lungs just doesnt belong at an event like this, and I am sure that AMG wouldnt be thrilled about it either.

I did mention it to a couple of attendees at the bar afterwards and they were pretty surprised and equally pissed off - in fact I have already had several PMs about it - so who knows.

But in their defence I still take my hat off to any instructor - they climb into that right seat with no idea who is climbing behind the wheel, and they pretty much put their lives in the hands of some stranger. And as the instructors will always tell you - every guy who climbs behind the wheel thinks he's an awesome driver. So I guess they can be pretty edgy at times and I guess sometimes they just lose it.

Unfortunately it ruined what could have been an awesome module.

At the graduate program I did all my open lapping with Adam Clarke and it was GOOOOOOD - just the way you want it - what a great guy he is - good coaching - quiet, calm, helpful and very encouraging. AWESOME Stuff!

Last edited by siswati; 10-10-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Danny, wow that is very strange, but as you said these guys do put their lives in the hands of some experienced and very non experienced drivers. You never know if he had a serious accident or close encounter prior to being with you. If it were me I'd really try to find out what you did wrong, in his eyes. If possible maybe try and get his email to send him a letter, if you really wanted to know. Just my $.02
Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
Originally Posted by siswati
hey Kevin thanks for the props - much appreciated

as for the incident, on the Saturday morning, Open Lapping was the first module for the Red Group. My first right seater was Bobby - a cool instructor who remembered me from Lime Rock, and quickly figured I knew what was going on and as I said, he let me have my head of steam, and he just coached me as we went along. Good and very enjoyable.

Several times we came on the back end of slower traffic, and he would radio the car ahead to let us through and as soon as we were on the straight and we got the wave-by I would squirt the throttle and pass the slower guy, raising my hand to say thanks - all very civilized just like any other driving school I have been to.

My second session on open lapping was with another well respected and very accomplished instructor. Same thing again - it all started good and then we came on the back of slower traffic. He radio'd ahead for the wave-by and as we entered the back straight the slower driver pulled over to make room and gave us the wave-by. All very normal. But as I squirted the gas to pass the slower car, the instructor next to me just started swearing at me - at first I thought it was a joke, until I turned to mnys side to see his face and I realized that he was PISSED. I apologized for whatever I had done wrong (and I still have no idea what it was) and he proceeded to berate me heavily. I just backed off the throttle and brought the car in the next lap - got out the car and walked away.

I was literally in a state of shock. It took every ounce of self restraint not to walk over to AMG and ask for my money back and get the hell out of there. Anyway I calmed down and waited to see what the instructor would do.

After a while I realised he wasnt going to do anything, so I walked over to him to give hime the opportunity and once again I apologized (still not sure what I did wrong) and once again he proceeded to sternly lecture me. I listened for a while, apologized again and started to walk away - only as I was walking away did I hear the words - "sorry I cussed at you".

Anyway I put it behind me carried on and had a great day (except for that one module). Its a good thing I stayed as I won the watch.

On Saturday at the Graduate day it was purely by chance that I climbed into the same instructors car for a different module. At this point he did openly apologize again but you could still tell that there was tension there.

Anyway no big deal - I got thick skin - its just a bit surprising at an event where you are surrounded by customers who regularly spend $100,000 plus on cars with the AMG brand.

As far as I am concerend, its not what he said its how he said it. Even if I had screwed up royally (which as far as I know I hadnt), there is still an appropriate response - "whoa there tiger! Not so fast, lets cool it down a bit" or something like that LOL!!!! Cussing at the top of your lungs just doesnt belong at an event like this, and I am sure that AMG wouldnt be thrilled about it either.

I did mention it to a couple of attendees at the bar afterwards and they were pretty surprised and equally pissed off - in fact I have already had several PMs about it - so who knows.

But in their defence I still take my hat off to any instructor - they climb into that right seat with no idea who is climbing behind the wheel, and they pretty much put their lives in the hands of some stranger. And as the instructors will always tell you - every guy who climbs behind the wheel thinks he's an awesome driver. So I guess they can be pretty edgy at times and I guess sometimes they just lose it.

Unfortunately it ruined what could have been an awesome module.

At the graduate program I did all my open lapping with Adam Clarke and it was GOOOOOOD - just the way you want it - what a great guy he is - good coaching - quiet, calm, helpful and very encouraging. AWESOME Stuff!
I admire you.

Had it been me in your shoes I would have blown my lid.

what in the world did you do wrong???

I don't mean to sound like an arsehole but these guys jump in the passenger side knowing damn well what they're up against. There is nothing to justify the fact that he cussed you out, not an SLR, not an IWC piece, nothing!

shame on him.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Great story.....im still wondering why on earth you didnt ask him to clarify what you did that upset him....even after you calmed down....even the next day. Im sure your wife/GF then lectured you on communication skills....lol.

Congrats on the watch....funny how things turn out sometimes.

T