Car & Driver Test Drive CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
Car & Driver= Explain how they get the new CLS63 w/inferior TORQUE to beat the old CLS55 to 0-60mph? As I've allways thought most magizines are BS...
Same reasons why a car like the M5 with low torque can keep up with a torque monster like the E55: utilization of higher engine speeds and more optimal gearing. Don't forget the 63 series cars have closer gearing in the low acceleration gears and can probably shift slightly faster than the old 5 speed box.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
Originally Posted by Germancar1
This is hilarious. Why would Car and Driver purposely put the CLS63 over the CLS55 in 0-60 times if they found the opposite to be true? What do they gain by this. Before you say because of Mercedes' advertising money and what not, remember that they ranked the CLS55 last in a comparo with the M5 and STS-V a little while back. If all this BS about being paid off were true Mercedes would have stopped advertising and what not with C&D after that test don't you think. Maybe some need to accept that C&D has professional drivers that know how to get the most out of a car upon launch. This is really sad how "55" owners feel the need to belittle the "63" cars and when the professionals get better numbers it is BS. Really sad, pitiful actually. Just face it, on this particular day the CLS63 proved to be faster. Deal with it.

M
I totally AGREE!! I know it's natural tendency to be defensive and put down the 63 when you have a 55. I got my 06 SLK55 recently so when (or if) the SLK 63 comes out, it'lll sucks too. But you've got to realize that's it the nature of technology and cars. They are going to be faster, better looking, and more desirable. Just be happy with what you've got and stop worrying about who's faster than you. Enjoy your car.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is noteworthy that the C&D article starts with these words: "There’s been a lotta talk on internet chatrooms lately about whether the new AMG 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V-8 engine is an improvement over the supercharged 5.4-liter V-8..."

There is a good chance that the writer was referring to postings on this site, since it seems to be the most dominant MB bulletin board on the net.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:15 PM

2012 SLS AMG
E63 AMG.....I agree...plus more....

Seems that not only Car & Driver is paying attention. I spoke to a RENNTech rep last week about their dyno numbers and their new E63 ECU software and one of the first things he mentioned was how the forums have guys dynoing low and the E63 vs E55 banter. It appears that MANY are actually tuning in and paying attention. Another tidbit that I heard from him (not sure as to its accuracy) was that AMG has been changing its cams/headers on the 63's as some of the first ones were not up to snuff. He believes that they are already on 3rd Generation!!!! Who knows, but that may indicate why later models are getting better dyno numbers and performance stats. Hope my car is in that category. Will soon find out....
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by BlkE63AMG
Seems that not only Car & Driver is paying attention. I spoke to a RENNTech rep last week about their dyno numbers and their new E63 ECU software and one of the first things he mentioned was how the forums have guys dynoing low and the E63 vs E55 banter. It appears that MANY are actually tuning in and paying attention. Another tidbit that I heard from him (not sure as to its accuracy) was that AMG has been changing its cams/headers on the 63's as some of the first ones were not up to snuff. He believes that they are already on 3rd Generation!!!! Who knows, but that may indicate why later models are getting better dyno numbers and performance stats. Hope my car is in that category. Will soon find out....
How does your car measure up? Are you satisfied with the power?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sls, e63
GERMANCAR1 and LIZARD seem to be the only sensible people on this thread. in general, the other remarks are such trifiling bosh. as they made abundently clear, 55 owners need to enjoy their cars and try and ignore the debilitating effects of heat soak that plague all s/c cars in hot weather.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Car & Driver= Explain how they get the new CLS63 w/inferior TORQUE to beat the old CLS55 to 0-60mph? As I've allways thought most magizines are BS...
G E A R I N G

I have now driven 3 63's and ALL felt faster than my E55k and SL55k

I ran one E63 against my SL55 and it was A tad quicker.

My SL55 is a tad slower than my E55 so that makes the E55 and E63 neck and neck.

Then again at 100+ the 63 was just walking off towards the sunset.

I have NO doubt that a 63 is faster. Besides that it drives better, stops better, corners FAR better (E63 vs E55) and sounds 10x better.

The 55k motor is a, non vario cam motor with a single cam shaft, poor flowing heads, and a very weak intercooler. Thats about as fun as a cement mixer motor.

The 63's are good step forward and I love how the feel and rev!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 10-18-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
How does your car measure up? Are you satisfied with the power?
I actually LOVE my car as I have stated here many times before. In all honesty I have backed off from writing about it as inevitably someone will have some nonsense to say about e55 vs e63. I came from an '03 M3 and not only is this thing faster, it is much more comfortable. I now have 850 miles and it is getting a little faster as time goes along. Was playing with it from a dig in 1st gear and had the ESP light going until I reached about 20 mph. Seems to be pulling harder and getting used to my driving style. Don't care what anyone thinks, this car is exactly what I wanted and it has lived up to and surpassed my expectations. As a bonus the wife LOVES it
Old 10-19-2006, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
I actually LOVE my car as I have stated here many times before. In all honesty I have backed off from writing about it as inevitably someone will have some nonsense to say about e55 vs e63. I came from an '03 M3 and not only is this thing faster, it is much more comfortable. I now have 850 miles and it is getting a little faster as time goes along. Was playing with it from a dig in 1st gear and had the ESP light going until I reached about 20 mph. Seems to be pulling harder and getting used to my driving style. Don't care what anyone thinks, this car is exactly what I wanted and it has lived up to and surpassed my expectations. As a bonus the wife LOVES it
I went from an E46 M3 to my E55, so I know what you mean about comfort, though I never would go so far as to call the M3 uncomfortable either. I own an E55, and while I would never trade my E55 for an E63 (I'll never give up my low-end torque )I'm really hoping the 63 engines will prove themselves in the long run. If what you say is true about cam profiles, it would be a HUGE disappointment because it means that the initial buyers were not given the power they paid for and expected.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Almost a Member!

the E63 engine cams are already 3rd gen? wow. The 06 E55 engine though is already at its final gen. I hope by the time i get the CLS63, the engine is already revised enough to get max performance. But i think mercedes should give free service to revise the earlier 63 engines if the later ones do have mechanical revisions that affect performance. People who buy the car early are also paying the same price as people who buy it later.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 AM
MHK

MB S63 AMG Coupe
The "3rd Gen" comment sounds like nothing more than "rumor"..heard from a guy who said......

Last edited by MHK; 10-19-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Gotta love the net, say anything, anything at all it will be spread around as being true. Until something official comes out these cams then it is just rumors.

M
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Hey guys, just so you know IT WAS A RUMOR about the cams/headers. I heard it from a RENNTech rep who said that he had been hearing this as well. I make no claims that this is true. Anyway, if it is and there is a problem, AMG could always pull a BMW M move and have the engines redone midlife to 'prevent failure' and enhance performance ala rodbearing recall on a ton of M3's. In all honesty, I am expecting at least one major engine service. Just hope the car roars afterwards!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 AM
MHK

MB S63 AMG Coupe
Hey guys, just so you know IT WAS A RUMOR about the cams/headers. I heard it from a RENNTech rep who said that he had been hearing this as well. I make no claims that this is true. Anyway, if it is and there is a problem, AMG could always pull a BMW M move and have the engines redone midlife to 'prevent failure' and enhance performance ala rodbearing recall on a ton of M3's. In all honesty, I am expecting at least one major engine service. Just hope the car roars afterwards!
I don't think anyone was being critical of you, your original post stated where you got the info from. Just that these are, as you suggest, appear to be rumors.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Better gearbox. Remember, the 7SP auto is used in the 63 Series cars versus the beefed up 5SP used in the 55K cars. Also, the new motor is all-AMG engineered; it features the latest advanced technology from the boys in Affterbach. Give these cars some time to settle in, and compare after a few thousand miles on the clock.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
I never trust magazines. It's too easy for manufacturers to cherry pick what they give them so that the acticles give the outcome they want. These figures they have aren't consistent with any results actual owners are getting from vehicles bought off of showroom floors.
+1.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=Thericker;1796777]Car & Driver= Explain how they get the new CLS63 w/inferior TORQUE to beat the old CLS55 to 0-60mph? As I've allways thought most magizines are BS...[/QUOTE

The E63 has less torque but better performance from a standstill because the tires do NOT spin out as in the cls55, thereby giving better traction and a better time. It makes perfect sense. Additionally, the new 7 speed shifts faster. Separately, I find it surprising that the majority of these posts are all about speed. I have had both cars (in a 3 month period), and personally prefer the E63. I spend most of my time driving to the golf course, the store, out to dinner, etc, as opposed to drag racing and trying to squeeze out one more tenth of acceleration. I consider other things like comfort, braking, handling, cornering, etc, which, the E63 is superior at. It has a brand new suspension system, new brakes that are fabulous, better steering and little things like real paddles (not push buttons), a nice fat (race-like) steering wheel, high reving 8000 tach (redlines at 7300), sits lower to the ground and has a great sounding exhaust. Let's not forget the 7 speed tranny which also shifts faster and, you can set the number of gears you want to use and make it a 5 spped if you like. Both cars are great. It is only normal for cls55 owners to defend their cars and for E63 owners to love theirs. As one other person said here, enjoy your cars. If you really want that extra speed. go for the Brabus Rocket (500 grand) or go out and get yourself a Prostock drag racer.