C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS55 test drive and mid life crisis update.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 test drive and mid life crisis update.

So I got to drive an 06 CLS55 last night.

Power - wow!!! very fast car...what else can I say, much quicker than the S6. 0 to 30mph is 1.8 seconds which is very useful as a daily driver (2.1 for the S6)

Handling - great balance of sport and comfort, not as tossable as the S6 or M5 as slalom test clearly show, I give the nod to the S6 in this department

Interior - black with high gloss laurel wood was top notch, the seat bolster adjustments are very cool, very easy to get comfortable. People make a big deal about blind spot but with the right side mirror, I rarely need to even turn my shoulder these days anyhow. Still give the nod to the S6 on the inside though - seems more like a cockpit

Exterior - Holy crap - pictures do not do it justice, no contest

Grip - Car had summer tires and it was above freezing but cold and a bit wet. The car handled quite well despite this, very few times did I see traction control kicking in with one exception, when starting at WOT on a slight uphill the car really struggled - tc was on for probably 5 seconds.

The last part is what I have to decide. Do I want to drive spirited all the time or do I want to REALLY drive spirited when the opportunities present themselves (ie. summer car that is comfortable in winter vs all year car).

Intangibles - depreciation -> CLS55 has already taken the depreciation hit, I can't even fathom the 2y residual on the S6 especially when the RS6 comes out - but then again, I plan to keep either car for 6-7 years so who cares?

Still Undecided!

One thing I noticed was a steering wheel vibration at moderate speeds - probably a wheel balancing issue. Is this common?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Nope the vibration is not common, either the front wheels need balancing or the tires are shot. In order to solve your mid life crisis, get the CLS.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Talking

Nothing else like it on the road. Go with the CLS55!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 PM

CLS55 AMG
Dude you got it really bad. Really...why are you asking the questions, you already know your answer.