C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS63 engine oil leak :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
CLS63 engine oil leak :(

update: i took my car to the dealer to check if there is an oil leak,, since i got two messages within the first 2000 miles "check oil level at next refueling." The dealer came back to me today; his reply was that there is a leak somewhere in the engine and they don't know the real cause!! The car had to stay at the dealer
Any idea on how serious this problem is?? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Sorry to hear that, hopefully they won't have to pull the engine to find out. Keep us posted.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Man that sucks, hopefully it's something small and easy to fix.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by AMG_Power
update: i took my car to the dealer to check if there is an oil leak,, since i got two messages within the first 2000 miles "check oil level at next refueling." The dealer came back to me today; his reply was that there is a leak somewhere in the engine and they don't know the real cause!! The car had to stay at the dealer
Any idea on how serious this problem is?? Thanks in advance.

Well an oil leak is the easiest thing to find. Follow the oil back to where it is coming out of the engine. I bet they simply do not know why the car keeps giving that message. Likely the car either burned a qt of oil during break in (so it wa 1 qt low) or the oil level sensor is broken. The new quad cam motors do tend to burn a little oil during the first few thousand miles so thats not something out of the norm. I just got a new E350 daily driver and it smoked upon start up last night but the M272 engine is known to do that for 2k miles or so until all the valves and seals are "seated."

Unless you saw oil under the car it likely is not dripping. To lose a while qt of oil and not see any sign of a leak on your garage floor is very rare.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 AM

CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Well an oil leak is the easiest thing to find. Follow the oil back to where it is coming out of the engine. I bet they simply do not know why the car keeps giving that message. Likely the car either burned a qt of oil during break in (so it wa 1 qt low) or the oil level sensor is broken. The new quad cam motors do tend to burn a little oil during the first few thousand miles so thats not something out of the norm. I just got a new E350 daily driver and it smoked upon start up last night but the M272 engine is known to do that for 2k miles or so until all the valves and seals are "seated."

Unless you saw oil under the car it likely is not dripping. To lose a while qt of oil and not see any sign of a leak on your garage floor is very rare.
Thanks alot for the info. The Service Advisor called me today and said that there isn't any leak! i really donno whats the deal, yesterday there was a leak and today there isnt...he said like you said that the engine needs to be broken in at least 5000 miles and that its normal for such a car to consume more oil for the valves and seal to be satisfied. He also recommended me to drive more aggressively!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Originally Posted by AMG_Power
Thanks alot for the info. The Service Advisor called me today and said that there isn't any leak! i really donno whats the deal, yesterday there was a leak and today there isnt...he said like you said that the engine needs to be broken in at least 5000 miles and that its normal for such a car to consume more oil for the valves and seal to be satisfied. He also recommended me to drive more aggressively!!!
Sounds like you have some homework, see if you can get a note from the car doctor just in cause you get pulled over