C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

a little concerned - paint work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
a little concerned - paint work

On my day off I decided to go to a local MB dealer (Fort Washington, PA) to riffle through the inventory. I see this black on black CLS 63. So the sales person and I are jostling some numbers around and I decided to have a "what if scenario". Dealer offered to appraise my car and after a two cups of coffee (15min) he comes back with a not so bright look on his face. Apparently this dealership has some sort of electronic tool which measures the thickness of the vehicles paint - sorry I can't remember the name he used. Reason I bring this up is because I was notified that my trunk lid had some paint work done and now it's being deducted from my trade in value. I do have satellite radio, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with this, or maybe my car was damaged in the process of unloading. Any one heard of this tool before.

P.S. Euro tuner did not add any value to my car according to the dealer. This is exactly what I expected.

Last edited by vb26; 02-20-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Oh yeah definitely. The tool is pretty awesome and almost all dealers have them now. i used to have one myself but ended up giving it to a buddy. They're all over ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FS-488-Car-Paint...QQcmdZViewItem

Its called a Paint Meter or Paint Thickness Gauge and it retails around $400 bones.