C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Changing your own oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 s550 sport, 2017 e300 sport
Changing your own oil?

Has anyone here attempted to change their own oil, on the 55? If so is it difficult, any precautions?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
I use this oil extractor I purchased from Griot's Auto Accessories...there's a couple places that carry it. Griot's is pricier though, but has a great warranty mine broke and was replaced no questions asked. If it's purchased from them, it carries a lifetime warranty.

You simply drop one of the three differently sized extraction tubes down the dipstick tube, pump 7-8 times to create vacuum and extract your oil. Clean, no gettin' underneath the car and pretty fast.

AMAZON

Griot's Auto

Before commencing make sure you have enough oil for the job, my car's capacity is 9qts - I could be off, for timeliness purposes let say it is. So have the number of quarts handy and I always have a spare quart to throw in the trunk - Mobil One ain't cheap when you need it.

Ensure you have a new oil filter, in addition to three o-rings that you'll require to change out the old ones on the oil filter housing.

NOTE
: If you do use the the aforementioned extractor, you'll need to empty it once. Each rib marked on the extractor equates approximate to one quart and the extractor accomodates 7 quarts total - so ensure you have empty containers to dump the old oil into.

(1) I warm up the engine and check the oil's level as indicated on the dipstick to confirm proper oil level, I think it's nine for the C43 but I'm relying on my poor memory.

(2) Once it's warm, not hot, shut off the engine and begin the extraction process.

(3) Once all extracted, empty old oil into appropriate containers.

(4) Remove oil filter housing, remove old filter, o-rings and replace them. You can fill the oil sump via the oil filter housing, just don't overfill!!!

(5) Wipe up, replace the oil filter housing. Start engine, check oil level and check for leaks - that's it.

TUTORIAL - Bookmark this website, it's great!!

Last edited by StapleGun; 03-06-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 PM

Wow

Thank you for that post! It was exactly what I was looking for. Not sure how different it is with the cls55. Is the Oil filter hard to take out? Thanks again Staple, I appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 AM

CLS55 06 (K4, LSD), Range Rover Sport 06, Bentley Flying Spur 07
Dude, you got a 100K car, why not just go to a mechanic???
Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by amalamud
no *****

there isn't a dip stick on the cls 55 and you'll have to know how to get into the computer to check the oil level.
also isn't oil changes free ? mine were at scheduled maint.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Are you kidding? just because we have 100K cars doesn't mean we can't work on them ourselves, I change my oil on all of my cars, they only go to the dealer for warranty issues, anything and everything else i do myself. Do you think they treat your car as if it was theirs? Do you like when they accidently curb a wheel, or scratch the paint? It's happened to me twice, and three times to another friend.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 AM

Well if you're a pro oil changer, good for you! But, I was answering the post of our fellow member here, who is obviously somewhat puzzled about the entire procedure. And my advise for him was to avoid any unnecessary mishaps of the process by taking the car to a professianal, who's help he should afford without a problem.
As for me,,I don't take the car to the dealer for oil changes, nor do I do it myself. I have a personal mechanic who has been working for me for years. Moreover,unlike some people, I'm not much of an oil freak, although I do love my car.

Last edited by amalamud; 03-07-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Well if you're a pro oil changer, good for you! But, I was answering the post of our fellow member here, who is obviously somewhat puzzled about the entire procedure. And my advise for him was to avoid any unnecessary mishaps of the process by taking the car to a professianal, who's help he should afford without a problem.
As for me,,I don't take the car to the dealer for oil changes, nor do I do it myself. I have a personal mechanic who has been working for me for years. Moreover,unlike some people, I'm not much of an oil freak, although I do love my car.

Sorry bro, but this isn't answering his post
"Dude, you got a 100K car, why not just go to a mechanic???"

Thats putting him down for wanting information on changing oil.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:11 AM

That is a very weird perspective bro... I really don't see how that statement could put anyone down. On the contrary, it should be taken as a compliment that he owns a 100k car!

Last edited by amalamud; 03-07-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Two words vested interest - I have taken my cars to shops before and they don't clean, they'll scratch up your car, leave off clamps and this is at Brumos. So guess what, I know I do a better job than they EVER will.

hsandhu21 - you're quite welcome it's what this forum is for.

I need to add, if your car has no dipstick (which sounds very odd to me) than you'll need to measure exactly the amount of fluid that you have removed and replace the same exact amount, no less.

Also you may or may not need the oil filter housing tool pictured under the above link for the "TUTORIAL," on mine I'm able to remove by hand after loosening up with a strap wrench.

Last edited by StapleGun; 03-07-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 AM

CLS55
The multifunction display can tell you how many quarts of oil you have to the tenth. just check it before and then after. i believe mine says 7.7 on the display.

i've had my car to the dealer once. i had my change stolen from the ashtray and the door broken on the ashtray. radio adjusted to hip hop and who knows if i even had a few burnouts around the dealership.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is completely unsat - I hope you conveyed that info to the SA.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
"That is completely unsat - I hope you conveyed that info to the SA."

Yeah, when you do that the next time the kid will really f--k up your car for getting *****ed at by the SA. Last week, while at the drag strip, a young guy (18-20ish) came over and said he used to clean up cars at the local MB dealership. He straight out told me what he did to the cars and said he knew how good they ran. SCARY!! Even scarier, he is working now at another dealership and MB is trying to get him back...(so he said)

I let the dealer do as little as possible. Every trip to my local dealer is like Russian Roulette. I have to almost cuss them out to make sure they don't wash the car because of the scratches and soap spots they leave on my black car.

The oil change is easy, I am assuming everyone here can count quarts and read an owners manual.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Talking Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments, Just saw the post about the 100k car. The last time I took my car to the dealer the guy who changed my oil decided not to clean the oil off his hands before driving my car back to the front. Of course they cleaned it after i complained but it's just crap that i don't really have time to deal with. I took it in last week for new brakes and the oil change. I just wanted to know how easy it would be to do myself, I guess the fact that I know a little bit about my car and I know how to maintain it helps me sleep a little better at night. Thanks again for the posts guys.