C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

63 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
Originally Posted by BlkE63AMG
Tranny gets better as time goes along with regard to smoother operation. I heard that there is a software upgrade for this (as previously mentioned here) and I am waiting on my SA who is checking on this. The other option is to put the car in comfort mode and bypass the 1-2 shift in traffic. It is very effective. If you need quick accel then just pull back on the left paddle. Anyway, good luck and give it some time, tranny does get better (currently at 6K miles).
Funny, I had intended to add to my post (but forgot because I'm senile) that I try not to react too severely or quickly to things like this. IOW, I'm going to wait on my courtesy visit to see if the transmission smooths out and gets better while training. Also, I'm aware of the fact that anything new seems strange at first. So your post was right on the mark, thanks.

We'll see. Frankly, I think I will still have misgivings about this tranny down the road ( ) but perhaps they can be addresses by a TSB or two.

=NLK=
Old 05-05-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I have heard about some people having issues with their trannies, but it's weird to hear some owner's commenting on the shift points. Did you guys not drive the car before buying it? Having driven an E63, CLS63, and a S65, the AMG car's are a totally different animal all together. Unfortunately you're not going to get shifts like in a normal E, CLS, or S class neither are you going to get your soft suspensions (even though i still think they ride well).

I do however know about the hanging upshifts, but I guess Mercedes will work on this with their next model year, the paddles are nice but when they do not react with your shifts, it takes the fun out of it.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 AM

CLS63 AMG
After 400 miles on the car, the shifts haven't gotten smoother.
So, yesterday with nothing better else to do, I did a ECU reset.
The rough shifts came back. Very interesting. Since then, I have put about 100 miles on the car and the shifts are starting to smooth out again. I guess this training of the transmission is important on my CLS for smooth downshifts coming to lights and for upshifts too.

Just thought I would share my experience.

amgBG

Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I have heard about some people having issues with their trannies, but it's weird to hear some owner's commenting on the shift points. Did you guys not drive the car before buying it? Having driven an E63, CLS63, and a S65, the AMG car's are a totally different animal all together. Unfortunately you're not going to get shifts like in a normal E, CLS, or S class neither are you going to get your soft suspensions (even though i still think they ride well).

I do however know about the hanging upshifts, but I guess Mercedes will work on this with their next model year, the paddles are nice but when they do not react with your shifts, it takes the fun out of it.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

07 GL420cdi, 07 ML63, 07 CL500 and more
I broke my dads in very rough, direct from the dealer to the highway to see if it was without the 250 kmh limit, taking it to almost max rpm *** soon as the temp was high enough, lots of hard acc. and with 12000 km on the clock it runs so smooth and as good as my GL420 and his new cl500 when in C and nice and rough in S and M
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Does the 7G blip when you downshift?
If you're gonna post those avatars, please swap the tops.