C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Had a short run with a 2003 viper, need tips!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Had a short run with a 2003 viper, need tips!

ok was on the gulf street today when I see this viper on my right, as soon as I passed him he went right behind me and tailed me for a while... I guessed it was on .
Now I know I might lose this but hell it for fun . He did a few passes by me taping his throttle to let me know he was game.

Both of us signalled to do a u-turn at the lights, as we turned he was ahead and were doing about 40-50kph.... I had it in manual mode, as I was trying to get into a lower gear to try and aim for 3-5k RPM range before the pull.
Did not have time to switch it back to sport mode as he pulled ahead half a car then I pushed with him.
From what I saw of our short run I was hanging with him, sadly we only got up to 110ish kph then we had to slow down as traffic was heavy.

We stopped at the nearest parking lot on the sea side and he was cool. We chatted for a bit and he said when ever you want a race let me know and we both traded numbers.

So now the fun part, I wouldn’t mind racing him properly again, even if I lose, but what should be the racing conditions to help give me a chance against a viper! If there is any?

* Race from a digg or roll? (if roll what speeds gear?)
* Should i worry about what gear i am in, rpms etc or just go full throtle?
* Weather in Kuwait is 40-48c at night
Will i suffer from heat soke, as i am stock

My car
My car is a cls55 06 with 5600K on the Speedo. Have not done any services to the engine since I got it and it reads service C and there still a long way to go for it.
Am not too familiar with the service that is done to these cars when they are newish. Any tips hints I should follow?

His car
All I now about his car is it's a viper 2003 soft top, with manual stik and he has removed something from the exhaust to help air flow.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Zod; 08-06-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
You - and the Viper driver - will be surprised at the result.

I see you are in Kawait where it is likely hot. Viper's do not do too good when they get hot either (but not as bad as the Kompressors).

Here is my experience...

I raced a Viper (500 HP) from 5-140 MPH and to 125 it was almost even when he started to pull away from, me. By 140 MPH he only had 2 lengths on me. We went from 5 mph to eliminate the driver error/wheelspin aspect to get a good handle on how the cars perform.

We raced from various lower speeds, too (15, 20, 35, 45) and the cars were nearly even until about 110 when the Viper showed its strength. The Viper was pulling on me in all scenarios - but BARELY - and I don't consider a car getting a fender or 1/2 car length getting "beat".

From a dead stop it will all depend on your (and his) driving skills.

But, if both launch good it will be really close to 100.

Both cars have similar gearing (shift 1 to 2 around 50, 2-3 around 88, etc) so just make sure you are in the lowest possible gear. I would have it in 1st from a 40 MPH or slower race, 2nd from 75 MPH and slower race.

TK

Last edited by BlackHammer; 08-06-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
You - and the Viper driver - will be surprised at the result.

I see you are in Kawait where it is likely hot. Viper's do not do too good when they get hot either (but not as bad as the Kompressors).

Here is my experience...

I raced a Viper (500 HP) from 5-140 MPH and to 125 it was almost even when he started to pull away from, me. By 140 MPH he only had 2 lengths on me. We went from 5 mph to eliminate the driver error/wheelspin aspect to get a good handle on how the cars perform.

We raced from various lower speeds, too (15, 20, 35, 45) and the cars were nearly even until about 110 when the Viper showed its strength. The Viper was pulling on me in all scenarios - but BARELY - and I don't consider a car getting a fender or 1/2 car length getting "beat".

From a dead stop it will all depend on your (and his) driving skills.

But, if both launch good it will be really close to 100.

Both cars have similar gearing (shift 1 to 2 around 50, 2-3 around 88, etc) so just make sure you are in the lowest possible gear. I would have it in 1st from a 40 MPH or slower race, 2nd from 75 MPH and slower race.

TK
cheers mate ... thinking dig short distance race or slow roll short distance race are my best shots. Not really possible to do high speed runs at normal hours as its too busy

Do any of you know what gets done to the car on the services?
mine reads service c

what do we start on?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Zod
cheers mate ... thinking dig short distance race or slow roll short distance race are my best shots. Not really possible to do high speed runs at normal hours as its too busy

Do any of you know what gets done to the car on the services?
mine reads service c

what do we start on?
It is real simple stuff, typical check fluids, brakes, tires, reset computer, check for software codes, updates. Service A, 10k on mine. Oil , as well. I am going in soon so I can ask and report back as to what the A , B and C represent.

In the meantime enjoy your car
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by juicee63
It is real simple stuff, typical check fluids, brakes, tires, reset computer, check for software codes, updates. Service A, 10k on mine. Oil , as well. I am going in soon so I can ask and report back as to what the A , B and C represent.

In the meantime enjoy your car
Cool thanks, the reason i ask this is because mine reads service c in so many km
and that was when i got it with 1203km done.
Does that mean my car has had 2 services already with just 1203km done
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Zod
Cool thanks, the reason i ask this is because mine reads service c in so many km
and that was when i got it with 1203km done.
Does that mean my car has had 2 services already with just 1203km done
Hey there is another thread on this...I think your computer needs reset. I am on A and have 10k miles