C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

295 30ZR 19s on stock 9.5" rear wheels okay??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55
Question 295 30ZR 19s on stock 9.5" rear wheels okay??

Greetings,
It is time for new tires on the CLS55 and I have found the choices very limited in the rear OEM 285 30 zr 19 size. For instance, if you want michelin ps2s, continental conti sportcontact3s or the up and coming Vredestein ultrac sessantas, you have to go with the 295 30 zr 19 size for the rears.
If one looks at the tire manufacturer's specs at tirerack or elsewhere, the overall diameter, section height, wheel-tire rpm doesnt change significantly from the 285 to 295 change but the section width of the tire will go up about a 1/2 inch.
The following are my questions for those far more knowledgeable and experienced on this board than a newbie like myself (and i did not find any relavent threads on searching):
1. Is this half inch a problem for rubbing clearance?? I would rather not roll my fenders and I would doubt that I would have to given some of the beautiful wheel tire cobos that I have seen members have on this board.
2. From a handling perspective, does this slight increase in the front rear stagger from 255/285 to 255/295 cause any significant/appreciable change such as increased understeer that one would notice negatively?
3. According to the tirerack spec charts, they reccommend a 10 to 11 inch wheel diameter for the 295 30 zr 19 size. can I get away with the stock 9.5 inch diameter wheel for this size? Will the slightly narrower wheel just cause the tire sidewall to bulge a little more and act like a rim protector? will it cause the tire to appear or act like a 25 aspect ratio rather than the 30 it is?
4. Are there any other factors that I should be considering? all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55
Personally I like the 295, plus you get the extra protection. I really don't see why you would have any problems rubbing. Have you lowered the car?

As long as your tire pressure is kept to manufacture guidelines you should get a better ride out of these tires then stock. I am not a fan of to much of a low profile, I like to know I have some meat on my tires.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by clos
Personally I like the 295, plus you get the extra protection. I really don't see why you would have any problems rubbing. Have you lowered the car?

As long as your tire pressure is kept to manufacture guidelines you should get a better ride out of these tires then stock. I am not a fan of to much of a low profile, I like to know I have some meat on my tires.

My 2 cents.
I have a 305/30/19 on my rear but my rim is 10". It looks a bit large but it protects the rims and the car seems to grab better for sure. I think it will work it just looks a bit different and take getting used to