C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 2006
CLS Suspension Question

Can someone explain what exactly is the difference between the three suspension settings (Comfort, Sport 1, Sport 2). Which is best for performance and why?

Also, when I park my car and lock it I notice that my car seems to drop an inch, randomly. Any explanation?
Attached Thumbnails CLS Suspension Question-car.jpg  
Old 12-25-2007, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Just got your car?

The lowering of your car after ignition off is the depreciation $$ coming from your purchase. LOL

Your cls has airmatic suspension. After ignition off, the car suspension lowers itself automatically lowering air pressure from the suspension system. This is normal--all cls's do this.

The 3 suspension settings allows the driver to select the level of suspensioning damping to suit driving needs. Sports 2 being the stiffist. Has nothing to do with speed.

The button on the shift console c/s/m adjusts the shiffing mode. Check your Owner's manual for the real technical explanations of these settings. But my own experience is C starts out in 2nd gear and is the old geaser setting. S is for Sport mode and the shift pattern is adjusted to allow for the most aggressive shift pattern. M allow for more manual control shifting with the paddels or gear shift level. The computer that controls this is called the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The TCM is adaptive, which means it adapts or learns from the drivers aggressiveness in accleration. The more you get on the pedal, the TCM adjusts the shift points to match an optium shift point to the speed. If you drive like you stole the car, the transmission shift points will eventually change to shift at a higher rpm yielding better jack rabbit accelerations.

Hopefully my .02 helps.

Last edited by m_berman; 12-25-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: s
Old 12-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 2006
Originally Posted by m_berman
Just got your car?

The lowering of your car after ignition off is the depreciation $$ coming from your purchase. LOL

Your cls has airmatic suspension. After ignition off, the car suspension lowers itself automatically lowering air pressure from the suspension system. This is normal--all cls's do this.

The 3 suspension settings allows the driver to select the level of suspensioning damping to suit driving needs. Sports 2 being the stiffist. Has nothing to do with speed.

The button on the shift console c/s/m adjusts the shiffing mode. Check your Owner's manual for the real technical explanations of these settings. But my own experience is C starts out in 2nd gear and is the old geaser setting. S is for Sport mode and the shift pattern is adjusted to allow for the most aggressive shift pattern. M allow for more manual control shifting with the paddels or gear shift level. The computer that controls this is called the Transmission Control Module (TCM). The TCM is adaptive, which means it adapts or learns from the drivers aggressiveness in accleration. The more you get on the pedal, the TCM adjusts the shift points to match an optium shift point to the speed. If you drive like you stole the car, the transmission shift points will eventually change to shift at a higher rpm yielding better jack rabbit accelerations.

Hopefully my .02 helps.
Have had the car a few months! Thanks for the info, definitely clears a few things up.