Questions about CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55, 2006 Lotus Elise
Questions about CLS55

Hi everyone,
I've started shopping around for a CLS55, and had a few questions I couldn't find answers to, after searching the forums. Thanks in advance for your help!

1) Does the RennTech ECU remove or change the speed limiter (the one that limits to 140mph I believe)? What about with 030 package, and the higher limit?

2) Did any CLS55's ship with halogen headlights? I looked at one, and the dealer assured me it had HID's, although they seemed a bit dim for HID's to me... Is there an easy way to determine, other than just looking at the brightness/color temp. of the lights? (I think when I was looking, it might've been the DRL's, not the normal night beams, as well)

3) What does the entertainment pkg include? Just the Harman kardon stereo? Isn't this stereo standard on all CLS55's?

4) I have an iphone and razr I'd like to be able to take calls with, using the car's stereo, and the COMAND's telephone buttons, instead of having to use the handset. Is this not standard? Do I need the 051 telephone option to do this? How do I know if that feature is even compatible with my cellphones?

5) In a stow-away tray in the center dash, in front of the gear shifter and below where the CD changer is, I saw a small compartment which houses a bluetooth headset (that's what it looked like anyway). Is this a standard feature on CLS55's, or something custom-built on the particular car I looked at? (This car didn't have the telephone feature, btw)

6) In some press photos/dealer photos of graphite designo and IWC models, I've seen white piping on the rear side doors, and in other pictures it is missing. Any idea what's going on?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
I'll try to answer a few....

2) Did any CLS55's ship with halogen headlights? I looked at one, and the dealer assured me it had HID's, although they seemed a bit dim for HID's to me... Is there an easy way to determine, other than just looking at the brightness/color temp. of the lights? (I think when I was looking, it might've been the DRL's, not the normal night beams, as well)
I've started shopping around for a CLS55, and had a few questions I couldn't find answers to, after searching the forums. Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, xenons headlights are a option

3) What does the entertainment pkg include? Just the Harman kardon stereo? Isn't this stereo standard on all CLS55's?
Not sure on that package, buy CD changer and DVD Nav is a option.

4) I have an iphone and razr I'd like to be able to take calls with, using the car's stereo, and the COMAND's telephone buttons, instead of having to use the handset. Is this not standard? Do I need the 051 telephone option to do this? How do I know if that feature is even compatible with my cellphones? Yes you have to have the added $1500 phone feature, in addition you need to add a $350 item called a Bluetooth puck. The Iphone and Razr work

5) In a stow-away tray in the center dash, in front of the gear shifter and below where the CD changer is, I saw a small compartment which houses a bluetooth headset (that's what it looked like anyway). Is this a standard feature on CLS55's, or something custom-built on the particular car I looked at? (This car didn't have the telephone feature, btw)
That sounds like a aftermarket bluetooth device

6) In some press photos/dealer photos of graphite designo and IWC models, I've seen white piping on the rear side doors, and in other pictures it is missing. Any idea what's going on?
IWC is a special edition, a one color interior almost looks gold in color. The Designo package has black wood, and creme and black two tone interior.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 AM

Are you sure the IWC version is single-tone? All the pics I've seen are two-tone (seats in a gold-like color, rest in black), although I've seen some with white piping and others with not... here's an example of what I mean:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200186866913

In the press photos, the rear side doors have white piping, in the dealer's actual picture right below, the piping is absent... I guess MB changed their mind after releasing the photos? Everything else looks the same, at least...

Also, does anyone know where I can find interior shots of a Graphite Designo CLS55? I've been unable to track down any...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
My mistake, that is correct, its golden and black!

Here is my gallery of pics I collected prior to my car.
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/CLS500?page=1

Page 6&7 has a couple of Designo interior pics.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by finiteyoda
Hi everyone,

1) Does the RennTech ECU remove or change the speed limiter (the one that limits to 140mph I believe)? What about with 030 package, and the higher limit?

4) I have an iphone and razr I'd like to be able to take calls with, using the car's stereo, and the COMAND's telephone buttons, instead of having to use the handset. Is this not standard? Do I need the 051 telephone option to do this? How do I know if that feature is even compatible with my cellphones?

1) RennTech's ECU tune (and most of the other ECU tunes) do not really remove the limiter, they just raise it high enough that you won't notice it's there. I think they set the limiter to 210 mph or somewhere around there.

2) I think active bi-xenon lights are an option. The dealer should be able to give you a print out of all options on the car.

3) I've never heard of the Entertainment Package, I think the CLS55 only had the Premium I or Premium II packages. There used to be an Entertainment option pre 2005 models and it included Navigation System + voice COMMAND + hands-free communication system (telephone option, etc....)

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Are you sure the IWC version is single-tone? All the pics I've seen are two-tone (seats in a gold-like color, rest in black), although I've seen some with white piping and others with not... here's an example of what I mean:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200186866913
By the way, even though it looks like dual-tone, this is not considered a dual-tone option (or at least it is differentiated by Mercedes from their actual dual-tone options). The Mercedes dual-tone option has the middle inserts in a different color than the side inserts of every seat in the car. If you search for dual-tone pictures of the E55 or SL55, you'll see what I mean. You'll see two different color on the seats: for example, the seat would be black with either blue or red inserts in the middle.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
My mistake, that is correct, its golden and black!

Here is my gallery of pics I collected prior to my car.
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/CLS500?page=1

Page 6&7 has a couple of Designo interior pics.
Thanks! I've bookmarked your gallery

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
2) I think active bi-xenon lights are an option. The dealer should be able to give you a print out of all options on the car.
I asked the dealer for a window sticker, they didn't have it though. Is there another way to get the option list for a car, if you have VIN or something? (Dealer is not a Mercedes dealer btw.)

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
By the way, even though it looks like dual-tone, this is not considered a dual-tone option (or at least it is differentiated by Mercedes from their actual dual-tone options). The Mercedes dual-tone option has the middle inserts in a different color than the side inserts of every seat in the car. If you search for dual-tone pictures of the E55 or SL55, you'll see what I mean. You'll see two different color on the seats: for example, the seat would be black with either blue or red inserts in the middle.
Thanks, I thought this might be the case for designo, I just couldn't find any interior pics to be sure.

I noticed on the HID feature, it has the self-cleaning headlamps feature as well, and I did see the switch for this on the car I looked at. Did the halogen headlamps also have the self-cleaning headlamps?

Thanks again for all the help, I'm greatly humbled by all the knowledge here
Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I asked the dealer for a window sticker, they didn't have it though. Is there another way to get the option list for a car, if you have VIN or something? (Dealer is not a Mercedes dealer btw.)
If you take the VIN number to your local Mercedes dealer, then can print you out a VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry), which should detail all the standard features and options on the car. That would be the only way to know for sure what options that car exactly has.

Thanks, I thought this might be the case for designo, I just couldn't find any interior pics to be sure.

I noticed on the HID feature, it has the self-cleaning headlamps feature as well, and I did see the switch for this on the car I looked at. Did the halogen headlamps also have the self-cleaning headlamps?

Thanks again for all the help, I'm greatly humbled by all the knowledge here
If it does have the headlamp washing system, then most likely it has the active bi-xenon smart lighting system. On 2005 models, it came as part of the "Lighting Package" while on 2006+ models, it was part of the "Premium Package".
Old 01-06-2008, 02:36 AM

Awesome, thanks, I'll get that VMI then!