how do i check my oil level (properly?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
how do i check my oil level (properly?)

hey guys. Just checking with you.

CLS55 AMG had first service done at 7800km (new oil and filters)

at 12000km i filled up another litre
at 15000km also
and also at 19000km.

Every time i used the check engine oil on the dash, after the car had rested for at least 30minutes. Every time it said add 1 litre to reach max oil level.

Now at 19480km (so only 500km after last fillup), i quickly checked it and it asked me to fillup another litre... and im kinda concerned now, so i went to check the dipstick on the engine, and its a very small red jobbie with only a small dark section at the bottom. When i touched it it was all nicely lubricated but there is no min/max indicator so im not sure what to do ?

also if i go in the service menu when the car ignition is on it says 6.9l of oil.

Problem is i ran top-up oil and gotta go to the dealer to buy some, but am quite busy so will have to leave it till monday. Can anything happen to the car?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by 0700700
hey guys. Just checking with you.

CLS55 AMG had first service done at 7800km (new oil and filters)

at 12000km i filled up another litre
at 15000km also
and also at 19000km.

Every time i used the check engine oil on the dash, after the car had rested for at least 30minutes. Every time it said add 1 litre to reach max oil level.

Now at 19480km (so only 500km after last fillup), i quickly checked it and it asked me to fillup another litre... and im kinda concerned now, so i went to check the dipstick on the engine, and its a very small red jobbie with only a small dark section at the bottom. When i touched it it was all nicely lubricated but there is no min/max indicator so im not sure what to do ?

also if i go in the service menu when the car ignition is on it says 6.9l of oil.

Problem is i ran top-up oil and gotta go to the dealer to buy some, but am quite busy so will have to leave it till monday. Can anything happen to the car?

This is with the engine running. At best, it will indicate 7.2.

The only way that I'm aware of is per the COMMAND read out--the way you're doing it.

That little red cap on where the dipstick would go if there were a dipstick is not a dipstick. However you can purchase a real full length dipstick from the Dealer for some $200.00.

Last edited by m_berman; 04-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.