C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

quick ZO6 run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Fleetwood
quick ZO6 run

I had a fairly short run in with an all black on black Z06 last night. he had some LS sticker as part of his bagging, and also dual tip exhaust. I made sure this wasn't an all wheel drive LS, lol. this thing was rather loud. at first we were cruising at around 40mph side by side admiring each others rides. he had a passenger with him, so we were contemplating of going on a bypass for some high speed runs but neither of us had that much time. so then we agreed on timing the next red light. after two lights we finally pull up to the red light. I look at the driver and tell him: "watch out this thing kicks to the side a bit" .we gave each other the nod and off we went. both cars went side ways loosing much traction. Z06 gets a quick 1 to 1.5 car length on me. the rumble this vett created completely silenced my exhaust. I was amazed how quick he got a jump on me. I was a little disappointed as I made couple of rookie mistakes, and screwed up my launch. and the run comes to an end that fast. the conditions were not safe since the road we were on was going up hill and very quickly down hill to another traffic light with some more cars. this Z06 was a monster. both driver and passenger were mad cool. I didn't get a chance to ask him what he did to the car to make so angry, so we gave each other thumbs up and off we went. just having some fun
anyone else have better luck with ZO6?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by vb26
I had a fairly short run in with an all black on black Z06 last night. he had some LS sticker as part of his bagging, and also dual tip exhaust. I made sure this wasn't an all wheel drive LS, lol. this thing was rather loud. at first we were cruising at around 40mph side by side admiring each others rides. he had a passenger with him, so we were contemplating of going on a bypass for some high speed runs but neither of us had that much time. so then we agreed on timing the next red light. after two lights we finally pull up to the red light. I look at the driver and tell him: "watch out this thing kicks to the side a bit" .we gave each other the nod and off we went. both cars went side ways loosing much traction. Z06 gets a quick 1 to 1.5 car length on me. the rumble this vett created completely silenced my exhaust. I was amazed how quick he got a jump on me. I was a little disappointed as I made couple of rookie mistakes, and screwed up my launch. and the run comes to an end that fast. the conditions were not safe since the road we were on was going up hill and very quickly down hill to another traffic light with some more cars. this Z06 was a monster. both driver and passenger were mad cool. I didn't get a chance to ask him what he did to the car to make so angry, so we gave each other thumbs up and off we went. just having some fun
anyone else have better luck with ZO6?
Unless the driver screws up, 3200lbs and 500hp makes this a race you're never going to win.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
360 FORGED
yeah man, Z06's do not play. Ours runs 11's stock at 122 mph...I've raced several in my 997tt and sometimes lost depending on the mph we start at. If the Turbo is right at boost it pulls, but if there's any lag forget it, the Z06 walks on me. I raced one in my 63 with 150 shot of NOS, and barely kept up on the highway - 80-140mph.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Unless the driver screws up, 3200lbs and 500hp makes this a race you're never going to win.
I guess I never stood a chance. I was hoping to at least keep up with him during the launch.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Think of it this way: the Z06 has virtually the same horsepower and torque but is 1,000 lbs lighter. You never had a chance and could only hope the Z06 driver might miss a shift or had the traction control off and lost control, i.e. was a moron.

It's one thing to look at the spec's and quite another to FEEL the difference. The wife has an '06 Z06 - a daily driver. It is the quickest, car I've ever driven. This beast will really get your heart pumping.

That said, let me say that I don't like driving it. Call me an old fart, but I much prefer driving my '07 CLS 63. It's a very competent car; it doesn't deafen me or jar my fillings loose and I don't have every CHP on the road wanting to pull me over.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr
Beat a few Z06s in my Mustang(480hp,3.55,3300lbs), but they are monster to run against. The best chance you have against many are the driver, someone who doesn't have the skill to handle and get 100% out of the car.

Pp
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I guess I never stood a chance. I was hoping to at least keep up with him during the launch.
then you need to practice your launch. turning off ESP and mashing throttle is a nono

Keep esp on and feather the throttle and give her a push when you feel she has hocked! (takes practice)

Secondly look into upgrading your tires (mich PS2, Toyo t1r, or nito invo) the difference is unreal, well was at least for me!
little wider is better also ;p
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
Originally Posted by Zod
then you need to practice your launch. turning off ESP and mashing throttle is a nono

Keep esp on and feather the throttle and give her a push when you feel she has hocked! (takes practice)

Secondly look into upgrading your tires (mich PS2, Toyo t1r, or nito invo) the difference is unreal, well was at least for me!
little wider is better also ;p
thanks, I will take your advise into consideration. however, I thought keeping ESP on will limit my power. or are you just telling me that for practise runs and once comfortable take ESP off?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
thanks, I will take your advise into consideration. however, I thought keeping ESP on will limit my power. or are you just telling me that for practise runs and once comfortable take ESP off?
No, I believe 55k's, due to the massive 516lb.ft at low rpms, launch best with ESP on otherwise you'll just create a cloud of smoke. However, ESP on is also a good idea for everyday driving with that much power going through the rear tires.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
yes if you turn it off and mash the throttle you will just go side ways and lose the launch and lose alot of time just spinning the tires.
ESP on and feather (gently press it down and press down more when you feel the car hook).
This is helped allot by the rubber you use, the better and wider, the stronger your take off will be (still not mashing though).