C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Is it the car, or the wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Is it the car, or the wheels?

I've had my CLS55 for 3 months now and I get a small vibration/bouncing feel at various mph (mainly between 25-35 mph) as if the road has very small lumps in it.

A good friend bought his CLS55 new, has had it for over 2 years, and his does the same thing. His response was basically that it's just how these AMG cars drive.

Of course, the dealership says its normal. Interestingly enough, it doesn't do it all the time, which makes it hard to prove.

Has anyone had issues with this small "bouncing" feeling? It seems hard to believe that this is acceptable for this car.

Any infomration is helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
it is normal with rear wheel drive vehicles. do you have stock or after market wheels?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM

CLS55
Thanks for the quick response.

I have the stock 19" AMG wheels.

I ask b/c I had an Infiniti M45 (RWD also) and it had no vibrating or bouncing feel. I was also cautioned not to expect the ride comfort of the Lexus/Infiniti RWD vehicles. Is this a fair statement?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
I had stock 19s on my 63 for a year, now I have 20s, never noticed this issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
cold tires maybe
Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Originally Posted by jeflufa
Thanks for the quick response.

I have the stock 19" AMG wheels.

I ask b/c I had an Infiniti M45 (RWD also) and it had no vibrating or bouncing feel. I was also cautioned not to expect the ride comfort of the Lexus/Infiniti RWD vehicles. Is this a fair statement?
Haven't noticed anything. I've only had some vibrations one time on another car. It was a Saab. Had the car inspected and found out the wheels were bent. Needed new wheels and alignment and the vibration went away.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The pirelli tires that are on our cars are the worst tires in the world. They are very loud and made from very hard compound, they feel like plastic. I can't believe mb is putting those tires on top of the line amg cars.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Are you experiencing vibration through the steering wheel at all? Does this bouncing and vibration happen at any other speeds?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:20 PM

CLS55
Thanks for all the responses.

IS3Mike: The small "bouncing" does not come thru the steering wheel, which makes me believe that it's not from the wheels. I doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's usually between 25-35 mph and sometimes between 70-75 mph.

Last weekend I took a road trip, and at around 70-75 mph, the small "bouncing" feel seemed to come and go about every 4 seconds. This very consistent frequency makes it hard to believe that the road had small, perfectly distanced lumps.

Notice that I keep describing it as a "small bouncing" feel as opposed to vibration. It is small where, if I never figure it out, I would be fine! It's just bothers me that the car doesn't ride perfect!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 PM

CLS55
BTW, I have all new Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires on the car. I chose these over the traditional options (i.e. P-Zero, PS/2, etc.) because I wanted to see first hand if the tread would/could really last more than 20,000 miles.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
If you aren't getting any feedback through the steering wheel I don't think its your rims. It's unlikely that you bent the stock wheels.

I suspect it could be uneven tire wear. What leads me to that is your description of the bouncing at 70-75 mph every 4 seconds. At certain speeds it can give off a pulsing sensation, and it would be in consistent intervals.
Then again if you have brand new tires, it shouldn't happen. This is a tough problem to track down.

What are you suspension settings? Comfort? Sport?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 PM

CLS55
It happens in both comfort and sport modes.

This morning as I actually let the car warm up for a few minutes. I usually warm the car for ~30 seconds and them I'm off. After a minute or so the car starting "trembling" while it was in park. It wasn't as noticeable as the bouncing feel that I described in the posts above, but it was close enough!

I think it may have something to do w/ the engine so the next time I'm at the dealership I'll have them check it again.

Has anyone noticed a very small "trembling" feel while their car is in park?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG

This morning as I actually let the car warm up for a few minutes. I usually warm the car for ~30 seconds and them I'm off. After a minute or so the car starting "trembling" while it was in park. It wasn't as noticeable as the bouncing feel that I described in the posts above, but it was close enough!

I think it may have something to do w/ the engine so the next time I'm at the dealership I'll have them check it again.

That may be the spark plug wires. One of my friends is an MB Tech and he has mentioned that the wires on the M113 engine have been known to have issues. That may be your culprit. My second guess would be something with the torque converter. Your best bet is to have the dealer check it out. The problem seems persistent, the sooner you go in the better.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 PM

MTA
The same thing happened to me a while ago. I brought it to the stealership and they was a bubble in my r/r tire. If you don't feel it through the steering wheel, it could be coming from your rear tires/rims.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM

08 CLS63

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I seem to be experiencing something similar. Mostly at highways speeds. Even my radar detector begins to bounce up and down quickly. Its beginning to get VERY annoying.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
I have the P 030 stock rims and have none of the problems you describe. To resolve the issue I suggest:
1. Have tires balanced.
a. If out of round tires and/or rims, the balancing will detect this issue.
2. If still continues, have the dealer check the airmatic units, rear suspension, and driveshaft, (if 06 drive by wire brakes/ESP can malfunction or pulse-check it out)
3. If still continues, change tires.
4. If still continues, contact your MB Regional Service Tech
5. If still continues, change cars.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
same problem here on my 06 cls55...I sold my CL55 over this....never again will I buy a MBZ
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by proform
same problem here on my 06 cls55...I sold my CL55 over this....never again will I buy a MBZ
your going to sell the car bcz it has a little bump when driving....
sorry

as others have said get wheels tires checked...suspention, and lastly could be steering rack as there is a TSB for it
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I have had this same situation - I have a CLS55 with the 030 wheels. I only notice it on VERY smooth roads at slow speeds (30mph) as I leave my home and it disappears completely after a few miles. In my case I suspect that it is the low profile tire sitting for 12 hours in one spot on my concrete garage floor developing a slight square edge that disappears as it starts rolling. I have NO high speed vibration, and the slow speed vibrations disappears quickly - just my $0.02
Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by lexaltezza
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I seem to be experiencing something similar. Mostly at highways speeds. Even my radar detector begins to bounce up and down quickly. Its beginning to get VERY annoying.
It turns out that 2 wheels were cracked, and all 4 were bent and out-of-round (OOR)!!!

I had my wheels fixed by a local shop (which does all the local MB dealer's wheels) and while it rides a lot better, it's still not like the OEM ride ... most likely b/c they are still OOR.

From my experience, this is what I've learned:

1) Vibration is usually caused by wheels that are out-of-balance (OOB) or out-of-round (OOR)
2) If a wheel is balanced, but still OOR, it could vibrate
3) It's almost impossible to get an OOR wheel back to OEM condition (i.e. true/straight)
4) When diagnosing vibration issues, most MB dealers will look at the wheels first because they know they're a lot of bent wheels out there ... and also b/c they know their AMG wheels are horrible, bend and crack easily ...
5) Its hard to conclude that vibration issues result from bad brakes, suspension, etc. if the wheels are OOR
6) It helps if you see the wheel (while spinning) on the balance machine (most shops don't mind)
7) Look for repaired/welded cracks, missing balance weights, etc. that may cause OOB

I love the way the stock AMG wheels look, but to be honest, they're made worse than the cheap wheels out there! I have had 22's and 20's on "rubber bands", with worse roads, and never had this many problems with bent/cracked wheels.

Sure, all bends and cracks come from road hazard (potholes, etc.) ... but it's still not acceptable based on the cost for these wheels, and the "advertised" quality and durability.

Hope this helps.