C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Bridgestone vs Pirelli

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
Bridgestone vs Pirelli

I have a 06 CLS55. After 23,000 miles I am ready to change my tires. My factory tires are the Pirelli PZero Rosso. I am buying my tires from Tirerack.com and they rate the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A better than the Pirelli PZero. The Bridgestone is also much cheaper. I have no experience with any other tires other than the Pirelli on my car. Any recommendation? Is the Pirelli worth the extra money?

Thank you for your input.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by dshuen
I have a 06 CLS55. After 23,000 miles I am ready to change my tires. My factory tires are the Pirelli PZero Rosso. I am buying my tires from Tirerack.com and they rate the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A better than the Pirelli PZero. The Bridgestone is also much cheaper. I have no experience with any other tires other than the Pirelli on my car. Any recommendation? Is the Pirelli worth the extra money?

Thank you for your input.
I can only assume that this is the 2nd time that you are changing the tires (or that you bought the car used after tires were changed). It is NOT posible to get 23,000 miles on a CLS55 even if you are incredibly conservative and gentle. Getting 10-12k seems typical although many have had to change out tires in the 8-9K range with aggressive driving.

I have used both Bridgestone and Pirelli on the E55 and CLS55 and cannot tell you one way or the other. Both do a reasonable job, but I have stuck with the Pirelli's. Post this on the AMG E55/E63 forum - you will get a much wider sampling and I am sure this has been aswered to death on that forum - just do a search.

Good luck with your decision
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Velvet Fleetwood
one of the members on the board mentioned that Pirelli's are rather loud and made from a harder compound. I think it was Dakare46.
I myself can confirm that Pirelli tires are a bit louder compared to Conti's, however in terms of performance I could not tell a difference. both brands provided good tracktion.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM

SL63
P Zero Rosso or Pilot Sport 2's

Originally Posted by siswati
I can only assume that this is the 2nd time that you are changing the tires (or that you bought the car used after tires were changed). It is NOT posible to get 23,000 miles on a CLS55 even if you are incredibly conservative and gentle. Getting 10-12k seems typical although many have had to change out tires in the 8-9K range with aggressive driving.
Good luck with your decision
Guess I’m a conservative driver, changed my PZero Rosso rear tires at 24,000 miles and just changed the fronts last week at 30,003 miles. Also had all four pads changes at 30,003 miles, brakes feel great again.

Everyone tells me the Michelen Pilot Sport 2's are excellent, they are my next set for sure.
---------------------------------------------------
Best trade-off between high performance and comfort
-Precise wet and dry handling
-Unparalleled comfort in its class
-High resistance to aquaplaning
-Exceptional cornering power and even wear characteristics
The ideal choice for car manufacturers, tuners and conversions
The PZero Rosso - PZero Rosso all round.
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
------------------
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Rosso

----------------------------------------------
Michelin Pilot Sport 2:
Best-In-Class Cornering
A Variable Contact Patch breaks traditional compromises by putting more rubber on the road during a variety of maneuvers, resulting in class-leading cornering and consistent straight-line performance.1

Highest Combined Wet and Dry Performance
With two distinct tread patterns and two specialized tread compounds, Michelin® Pilot® Sport PS2™ tires deliver the highest combined wet and dry performance in its class.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ult...lot-sport-ps2/
--------------

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2

-----------------------
More on all weather tires,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
------------------------
More on summer tires,
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=HP
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by turbotom1
Guess I’m a conservative driver, changed my PZero Rosso rear tires at 24,000 miles and just changed the fronts last week at 30,003 miles. Also had all four pads changes at 30,003 miles, brakes feel great again.
WOW Turbotom - I stand corrected. Thats - I appreciate the info.

I have had both an E55 and now the CLS 55 and I have not been able to get 10,000 miles out of my tires. Not proud of it either. I would never have beleived that sort of mileage was possible with our HP.

My business partner got rather cheesed off the last time I spent $1300 for another set of tires. Then he bought his fiance an AMG SLK55 (naturally aspirated) and yes she is a conservative driver, and he is not much more aggressive, and sure enough, 11,000 miles later she has no rear tires left.

Just goes to show there are a lot af very different driving habits on this forum, each contibuting to a completely different experience. Thats why I learn so much from my fellow enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

AMGs
I dont understand how you guys get >20K on the tires... Im lucky if I get >10K on my E55 or CLS55.

But I would stick with the OEM Pirellis.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
I dont understand how you guys get >20K on the tires... Im lucky if I get >10K on my E55 or CLS55.
Same here..... I usually end up getting $7k to $9k, and even that is considered too much, as many people on the E55/E63 forum average $2k to $3k

By the way, I've used PS2s on a lot of my cars, and I highly recommend them if you want really good traction......
Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Same here..... I usually end up getting $7k to $9k, and even that is considered too much, as many people on the E55/E63 forum average $2k to $3k

By the way, I've used PS2s on a lot of my cars, and I highly recommend them if you want really good traction......
+1 on PS2's. I would also consider Toyo TR1's.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM

You know this thread started out as a question related to tire choices, but TurboTom's post has had me perplexed all day!!!! Thanks TurboTom!!!

Pretty much everyone that I know that has an E55 or CLS55 (compressor), has changed their tires at around the 8,000 - 11,000 mile mark, adn as some have reported, at mileage less than that!

At 9000 miles, my rear tire were close to bald, absolutely shot and dangerous when it rained, and the fronts were close behind with maybe another 1,000 miles left in them, but I have always changed all four tires out at the same time.

I cannot conceive of getting 20,000 miles on the rears, and 30,000 on the fronts. Heck I never got that sort of mileage with my old 4-cylinder cars and 130RWHP and 120RWTQ. How the hell do you get that kind of life out of a tire with 430+ RWP and 450RWTQ????????

I really dont mean to be an idiot about this, but TurbTom, that pedal on the right is the GAS, this is an AMG, you paid BIIGGG $$$$$$ for this, might as well stomp it hard once or twice dont you think??? Not sure I understand the reasoning behind paying $100k for and AMG performance vehicle and then never driving it hard. I just dont get it. Really the whole enjoyment of these cars for me is in that right pedal and that thuderous response off the line, the feeling of the tires just tearing themselves apart just trying to accelerate you faster than youu ever thought was possible. Thats the part that gets me grinning.

And as I said, not trying to start anything, dont mean to be a dik, but I just dont get it!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

AMGs
You know this thread started out as a question related to tire choices, but TurboTom's post has had me perplexed all day!!!! Thanks TurboTom!!!

Pretty much everyone that I know that has an E55 or CLS55 (compressor), has changed their tires at around the 8,000 - 11,000 mile mark, adn as some have reported, at mileage less than that!

At 9000 miles, my rear tire were close to bald, absolutely shot and dangerous when it rained, and the fronts were close behind with maybe another 1,000 miles left in them, but I have always changed all four tires out at the same time.

I cannot conceive of getting 20,000 miles on the rears, and 30,000 on the fronts. Heck I never got that sort of mileage with my old 4-cylinder cars and 130RWHP and 120RWTQ. How the hell do you get that kind of life out of a tire with 430+ RWP and 450RWTQ????????

I really dont mean to be an idiot about this, but TurbTom, that pedal on the right is the GAS, this is an AMG, you paid BIIGGG $$$$$$ for this, might as well stomp it hard once or twice dont you think??? Not sure I understand the reasoning behind paying $100k for and AMG performance vehicle and then never driving it hard. I just dont get it. Really the whole enjoyment of these cars for me is in that right pedal and that thuderous response off the line, the feeling of the tires just tearing themselves apart just trying to accelerate you faster than youu ever thought was possible. Thats the part that gets me grinning.

And as I said, not trying to start anything, dont mean to be a dik, but I just dont get it!!!
+1. PS2 tires are probably the best but they wear down even quicker... I get about 7-8K on them running 245/35/19 front & 275/30/19 on rear.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM

'07 CLS63 AMG, '08 S550, '09 GL450 w/appearance pkg., ('06 BMW '04 M3, '01 Boxster S - ALL SOLD)
Arrow PS2 vs Bridgestone Potenza vs Pirelli

I used to be a big, big fan of the PS2s...I never was a fan of the Pirellis...I have to say, I put the Potenzas on my CLS63...just awesome! They are almost 1/2 the price of the PS2 and for me, since I replace my tires every 10k - 11k...they are just great. I too buy from tirerack.com...Many of them have agreed with me about the Potenzas...very good tire, excellent price!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Siswati, what can i say about turbo toms driving? ****ing ***** to the walls, day in and day out. He's one of the few amg owners that just drive the ***** off of his car. Weather it be highspeed driving, hard accelerating, cornering, turbotom does it on a daily basis, i know ive ridden with him oodles of times (so have ATLEAST 6-8 other people this forum, im sure they'll chime in soon). Hell ive seen turbotom on the road once or twice, driving the ***** off the car yet again.

Last edited by RENNSTAGE; 06-23-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:05 AM

cls 55 amg, clk 320
well maybe the bridgestones are worth trying, Ive changed the rear tires 3 times in 18,000 miles, and i must say the pirelli's are great in every respect except that they dont last very long. Although the majority of my driving is conservative, i do like the occasional burnouts & donuts, but i dont do thses things frequently, maybe 4-5 times with each pair. After that the traction control is working extremly aggresivly.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM

06 CLS55 AMG

Turbotom and I regularly duel on the local roads on the way to work. Tom's driving style is aggressive by nature but only when he has to be. When challenged tom will drive "all out", he and i ran into a M6 convertible one day and boy the Haterade came out from the M6 guy. Tom is not a burnout in the parkinglot kind of guy. His commute to work is relatively short probably 20-30 minutes at most. He definately understands the power at his command, but why exercise that power against everyone all the time?

I too changed my tires at 24,000 and front brake pads at 25,000, And my driving style is way more conservative compared to tom.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Rennstage, JoeCampo, Turbotom.

thanks for setting me straight, and Turbotom, everyone says you get on it hard, so please ignore my ignorant post while I get my foot out of my mouth!

My experience over the last 4 years with the 55k's says 10,000 mi is VERY typical.

As I mentioned earlier, do a search on the E55 forum. There is a HUGE amount of information there on tires including
  • sizes
  • brands
  • offsets
  • wieght
  • tire life
  • etc.

- here is one of many.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ires+how+miles
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by RENNSTAGE
Siswati, what can i say about turbo toms driving? ****ing ***** to the walls, day in and day out. He's one of the few amg owners that just drive the ***** off of his car. Weather it be highspeed driving, hard accelerating, cornering, turbotom does it on a daily basis, i know ive ridden with him oodles of times (so have ATLEAST 6-8 other people this forum, im sure they'll chime in soon). Hell ive seen turbotom on the road once or twice, driving the ***** off the car yet again.
+1... Turbotom is a Turbo-Driver...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

SL63
What surprised me is the brakes lasted ...

I really dont mean to be an idiot about this, but TurboTom1, that pedal on the right is the GAS, this is an AMG, you paid BIIGGG $$$$$$ for this, might as well stomp it hard once or twice dont you think??? Not sure I understand the reasoning behind paying $100k for and AMG performance vehicle and then never driving it hard. I just dont get it. Really the whole enjoyment of these cars for me is in that right pedal and that thuderous response off the line, the feeling of the tires just tearing themselves apart just trying to accelerate you faster than youu ever thought was possible. Thats the part that gets me grinning.

I understand completely and would have assumed the car was only driven on the highway at moderate speeds from the description.

What surprises me most is that no one picked up on the F/R brakes lasting till 30,000 miles and then only the pads were changed. I was as surprised as anyone and was so sure I would be called out, not a word from anyone, very funny.

I used to drive a supercharged Jaguar and it was my first car with lowprofile tires. Blew 8 tires in one year and three cracked rims, not all by myself, I was teaching my kids to drive. Lets just say my partners were less than happy.

6 years ago I learned about winning driving techniques without abusing the car from Bruce at TTMotorsports (forum name TuningTech) http://www.ttmotorsports.com

We have an active crew here and usually meet up Thursday nights and have legendary saturday meets and rallys.
Typical Thursday Night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpNaRyJuhHg

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/243554-mercedes-benz-meet-thursday-7-30-pm-best-buy-westbury-new-york.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91931

Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 AM

cls55
Thanks for all the input. The car was driven mostly on highway. I cannot find the Michelin SP2 only the SP A/S on Tirerack with the correct size. The RE050A is not the Pole position one just the regular version. I don't expect the RE050A to last as long as the Pzero. I will try the Bridgestone because of the price and I may try the Michelin SP A/S next. I am going to sign up a track day at the Portland Raceway in October. May be the Bridgestones will be toasted after that .