C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Engine Died, Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008 | 11:25 PM

2006 CLS55, 2005 E55 (Sold), 1966 Cobra Replica, 1984 Porsche 911 Turbo-Look CoupeCobra Replica
Engine Died, Car Won't Start

Well, after deciding to keep the beast, it repays me by up and quiting while driving and leaving me stranded on a city street. As I type this, the car is being flatbedded to the dealer 240 miles away, courtesy of Mercedes Benz.

So, my question is, has anyone had the following happen to them while driving? I was driving my CLS55.

Was driving about 20 mph when the car lurched and it felt like the tranny dropped a gear really, really hard. Drove another 50 feet or so and the engine just died. Tried to restart with the keyless go but it was totally dead. Inserted the key into the ignition and some strange things happened, The engine turned over easily but the car would not start and when I turned the ignition on, all the dash lights lit up and the drivers seat, steering wheel tilt functions all seemed to go haywire, moving up and down, back and forth every which way.

Tried that again with the same results so I let the car sit for a minute or two and gave it another try and those functions seemed to return to normal. The engine, however, still would not start. The electrical functions seemed to work OK. Windows, radio, lights, etc., all worked as they should as did the steering column and seat functions. So the battery must be fine. Seemed like I had plenty of juice.

And while waiting for the flatbed, I realized I could not get the car out of park. How are you going to get the car on a flatbed when it's stuck in park? So I fiddled around with the ignition for a while in the accessory mode and still could not get the car out of park. Felt like a screwed pooch but gave it one more try and I was able to get the car out of park and in to neutral.

Any ideas of what might have caused this? Could a fuel pump failure cause a problem like this?
Dealer will get a crack at it Monday, but am curious to see what you guys think.
Thankfully, they have a great tech on hand who is well versed in AMGs, as
they sell and service quite a few of them.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2008 | 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rocks55
Well, after deciding to keep the beast, it repays me by up and quiting while driving and leaving me stranded on a city street. As I type this, the car is being flatbedded to the dealer 240 miles away, courtesy of Mercedes Benz.

So, my question is, has anyone had the following happen to them while driving? I was driving my CLS55.

Was driving about 20 mph when the car lurched and it felt like the tranny dropped a gear really, really hard. Drove another 50 feet or so and the engine just died. Tried to restart with the keyless go but it was totally dead. Inserted the key into the ignition and some strange things happened, The engine turned over easily but the car would not start and when I turned the ignition on, all the dash lights lit up and the drivers seat, steering wheel tilt functions all seemed to go haywire, moving up and down, back and forth every which way.

Tried that again with the same results so I let the car sit for a minute or two and gave it another try and those functions seemed to return to normal. The engine, however, still would not start. The electrical functions seemed to work OK. Windows, radio, lights, etc., all worked as they should as did the steering column and seat functions. So the battery must be fine. Seemed like I had plenty of juice.

And while waiting for the flatbed, I realized I could not get the car out of park. How are you going to get the car on a flatbed when it's stuck in park? So I fiddled around with the ignition for a while in the accessory mode and still could not get the car out of park. Felt like a screwed pooch but gave it one more try and I was able to get the car out of park and in to neutral.

Any ideas of what might have caused this? Could a fuel pump failure cause a problem like this?
Dealer will get a crack at it Monday, but am curious to see what you guys think.
Thankfully, they have a great tech on hand who is well versed in AMGs, as
they sell and service quite a few of them.

Thanks
Yuck.

Man sorry to hear about this glad it is covered.

How many AMG cars in the Dakota's???
Old 07-27-2008 | 03:08 AM

07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
had a similar thing happen on the wife's car... (slk350)... turned out the transmission oil plug was not closed properly at the prior service!, meaning there was a leak , and the car basically did the exact same thing when the level got really low... lurched, then refused to go into gear, luckily i was able to steer her to the side... flatbedded and then fixed... but harrowing experience nevertheless... good thing i was driving...

found out later, that there is some safety measure in merc's that sets off if the tranmission fluid is low, making the car inoperable to prevent any further damage to the transmission....

best of luck to you, let us know how it turns out ...
Old 07-28-2008 | 10:25 AM

2006 CLS55, 2005 E55 (Sold), 1966 Cobra Replica, 1984 Porsche 911 Turbo-Look CoupeCobra Replica
Find Out More Today

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully I'll find out more today about what may have gone wrong.

As for the number of AMGs in North Dakota, not sure but I know of 2 SL65's, an SL55, a CLK63 Black Series, my CLS55 and most likely a few more. Dealer sells most of them out of state, including a Mclaren SLR and a Carrera GT to the same fellow.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008 | 09:49 AM

Got Diagnosis Back

Well, here's the official word from Mercedes:
Just as I suspected it was fuel pump related. Blew the fuel pump fuse. According to the tech, one of the fuel pumps had a higher draw than they other but Mercedes Benz advised them to change both pumps, all under warranty.

They'll deliver the car Friday. Life is good again.
Thanks for your replies