C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Did the X-Pipe make my car slower?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
You mentioned two very key words. velocity and savaging. Managing exhaust is just as important as the intake.

If you're running enough boost, I could imagine where open headers would be more beneficial. I'm curious why you're saying that with a roots blower 'you can just run open headers'. That sounds like old-school muscle car mentality where you don't worry about exhaust tuning, but overcome it with more boost. I thought roots was more of a lobe design compared to our screw design. Don't know some of the particulars beyond that and would be quite curious why.
That was always my understanding (Though when it comes to SC's it's limited I admit) Because roots systems make positive boost from basically off idle in which case any exhaust tuning or back pressure becomes detrimental.

When you want more power with a roots system ... you put a bigger blower on. Short open headers or individual short pipes work best was always my understanding and has been the practice since long before I was born. Because boost comes on basically right off idle and builds with engine rpm, there's no need for much exhaust tuning because there's no scavenging going on.

I dunno ... maybe I'm wrong. But that's always been the way I understood it.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
That was always my understanding (Though when it comes to SC's it's limited I admit) Because roots systems make positive boost from basically off idle in which case any exhaust tuning or back pressure becomes detrimental.

When you want more power with a roots system ... you put a bigger blower on. Short open headers or individual short pipes work best was always my understanding and has been the practice since long before I was born. Because boost comes on basically right off idle and builds with engine rpm, there's no need for much exhaust tuning because there's no scavenging going on.

I dunno ... maybe I'm wrong. But that's always been the way I understood it.

Exactly.