C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Rotors and Break Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
Rotors and Break Pads

How long should you expect these to last. On my recent shop visit, the dealer claimed I needed new rotors and pads (at a cost of aprox. $2,200!) I don't drive the car hard and my tires usually last 12- 13 thousand miles. MY current milage is 37,000 and I have never needed rotors on a MB before 50,000 miles in the past. Is this just the case of a dealer trying to stick it to me?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by AMGLAB
How long should you expect these to last. On my recent shop visit, the dealer claimed I needed new rotors and pads (at a cost of aprox. $2,200!) I don't drive the car hard and my tires usually last 12- 13 thousand miles. MY current milage is 37,000 and I have never needed rotors on a MB before 50,000 miles in the past. Is this just the case of a dealer trying to stick it to me?
37k without a front rotor and pad replacment is average. Drive it like it is stolen maybe 20k or so. Drive it like the old lady from Pasadena then 37k is about the life span. Beside driving habits, city driving with stop and go's reduces brake life considerably. Price sounds average from MB.

As far as tires 12-13 k on rubbers, sounds like you are driving like it is stolen or your rubber wear rating is less than 220. In my case, and not proud of it, I'm still driving on the original rubber at 24K miles and have about another 3-5k left. It's all about driving style and stop/go. I have a little less than 1/2 left on the front pads.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM

I was at the dealer recently and they told me I also needed from and rear pad and rotors. I have 42k on the car and I asked shouldn't the brake wear sensor trigger before I need to replace pads and they said they can and should trigger soon. Personally I would wait till I get the alert in the dash before getting the work done.

I remember on my CLK I got brakes done when the alert came on the dash and the pad still looked like it could have lasted for a while still.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
Be very careful with the dealer here. Since most of the braking performance comes from the front wheels, the rear pads and rotors will not be worn to the same extent as the front. On average, rear wears at a little over half the rate of the front. The dealer will tell you to replace all 4 when in fact you most likely only need to replace the fronts. Also ask what the current rotor thickness is and what the minimum thickness stamped into the rotor is. Get this for all 4 wheels. Rotors are always over engineered and as long as you do not go waaaaay past the minimum thickness you will be OK. Pads can wear until they start to scrape or start making rough sounds....... after this you will hear and feel metal to metal contact and you have gone too far.... still if you replace within a few miles of metal to metal contact (suburban driving not freeway), you are unlikely to do any damage. (of course you will lose some braking performance towards the end). If you are gentle on the brakes you will have plenty of warning.
Just went through this entire process with my Mercedes SUV. Went to the dealer and they said $550 per front and $525 rear for pads and rotors. As I was out of warranty I went to Les Schwab, paid $390 for fronts only and the car is fine!. I managed to put 12,000 miles on the vehicle after they told me to change! Have done 1000 miles since Les Schwab and all OK.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Save a buck ?

I had the dealer change all four at 30,000 miles for about what your dealer quoted.

Brakes are the one area where it does not pay to try and save a buck.

money savings tips...
get her to pay once or twice a month for a night out.
only tip a dollar per dance
happy hour or drink at home !
read car magazines for free at the library
print out the hooters calendar at work instead of buying it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...s-pirelli.html

Does this girls shirt look like a serpentine belt to anyone else ?