C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

charging battery using cigarette lighter adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking! (previous: CLS55)
charging battery using cigarette lighter adapter

Hi everyone, I have a CTEK battery charger with the cigarette lighter adapter (this is the same as the MB-branded unit). I can't seem to get my CLS55 to charge using the power port in the rear seat or trunk or the actual cigarette lighter in the ashtray. So, for right now, I've got the charger hooked up directly to the battery (using alligator clips). In the future, though, how do I charge the car in the "MB recommended" way? fwiw, the battery is virtually dead right now, I'm not sure if that's somehow affecting things (e.g., the power ports aren't active since the battery is already so low). For the charger to work, the ports need to be active...

Any comments appreciated!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Hi everyone, I have a CTEK battery charger with the cigarette lighter adapter (this is the same as the MB-branded unit). I can't seem to get my CLS55 to charge using the power port in the rear seat or trunk or the actual cigarette lighter in the ashtray. So, for right now, I've got the charger hooked up directly to the battery (using alligator clips). In the future, though, how do I charge the car in the "MB recommended" way? fwiw, the battery is virtually dead right now, I'm not sure if that's somehow affecting things (e.g., the power ports aren't active since the battery is already so low). For the charger to work, the ports need to be active...

Any comments appreciated!
I have been told the cls55 has 2 batteries in it, one small one in the hood to power the electronics. The larger one in the trunk for the car itself. I always have to connect to the battery (over the winter) to keep her juiced. I too had a dead battery when i charged thru the cigarette lighter...the dash was fully lit up but the engine refuses to turn.