C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Big Brake Kit

My cls63 brakes are about due for a change. I would like something more aggressive for track use. I was thinking Kleemann/Evosport. Any recommendations??
Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
if u have the two piece rotors and 8 piston capilars....they r made by brembo and are the best money can buy.....If u have a onepiece rotor and six piston caliper....u could upgrade ur brake system.....why would u go kleemann u if u have a two piece with 8 piston that is the biggest set up from kleemann for ur car made by brembo... forget evosport.......Brembo is the way to go....or u can go Brembo 406 mm rotor the biggest rotor but only 6 piston caliper only for AMG.... Hope that helps..
Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Thanks for the info! Ya il probably just stick with the stock setup. Do you know of any places that sell the cls63 2 piece rotors? The stealership is charging a lot lol.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
You might just want to swap out the OEM pads with ones that have a little more "bite"...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by UDWANIT2
if u have the two piece rotors and 8 piston capilars....they r made by brembo and are the best money can buy.....If u have a onepiece rotor and six piston caliper....u could upgrade ur brake system.....why would u go kleemann u if u have a two piece with 8 piston that is the biggest set up from kleemann for ur car made by brembo... forget evosport.......Brembo is the way to go....or u can go Brembo 406 mm rotor the biggest rotor but only 6 piston caliper only for AMG.... Hope that helps..
HAHA.

They're certainly good but not the best money can buy. Just because they're made by brembo doesn't mean that they're top of the line brembos. This sounds like typical forum babble about how "8 piston is always better than 6 which is always better than 4". Additionally, OEM brembo's are known to be different than their comparable aftermarket. This is true from what i've heard about the 55's but not knowing the 63 brakes, i'm not going to comment.

The newest 6-piston race Brembos would be better than the stock 8's regardless. Of course I don't think that you're going to want to pony up the bucks for such a setup. 12 piston brabus/alcon brakes are naturally an upgrade too, but at $20k+, that's probably not to realistic for this car either.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM

CLS55
Yea I hear those 6 piston are the top notch... I believe the GTR uses the 6 piston Brembos if im correct... Either way the stocks are pretty nice on my 55
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
HAHA.

They're certainly good but not the best money can buy. Just because they're made by brembo doesn't mean that they're top of the line brembos. This sounds like typical forum babble about how "8 piston is always better than 6 which is always better than 4". Additionally, OEM brembo's are known to be different than their comparable aftermarket. This is true from what i've heard about the 55's but not knowing the 63 brakes, i'm not going to comment.

The newest 6-piston race Brembos would be better than the stock 8's regardless. Of course I don't think that you're going to want to pony up the bucks for such a setup. 12 piston brabus/alcon brakes are naturally an upgrade too, but at $20k+, that's probably not to realistic for this car either.

The stock Brembos are good enough for street use. I have their 405mm 6 Piston front and 380mm 4 Piston rear kit. It's definitely overkill for street use, but it does resist brake fad very well. Pedal feel is also much better, but that can probably be achieved just by getting stainless steel lines. 60-0 distance will not be dramatically less unless you are really pushing the car and getting those brake temps up. The cost of the upgrade is something you need to think about. The Brembos are around 9k, and azncarjunkie is right about 20k+ cost of Brabus' big brake kit.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by hoolamonster
Yea I hear those 6 piston are the top notch... I believe the GTR uses the 6 piston Brembos if im correct... Either way the stocks are pretty nice on my 55
I think you might be mixing up the Brembo GTR brakes (which i'm talking about) and associating it with the nissan GTR? I don't think that these come stock on any car considering that they run about $12-14k for a set.

The GTRs aren't to be mixed up with the 'regular' GT line. which can be had for about $4-5k

Again...probably not something that is going to end up on a CLS unless you just want to have the fun parts

I didn't bother doing my brakes. couldn't stand the thought of getting the high level brembos knowing that there was an ultra high level that I "really" wanted instead. Go big or go home I say!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 PM

CLS55 black opal
oh...and to add...I'm mostly fine with my 55 brakes. They were overheating when I took my car to the track (streets of willow) on a 80 degree day, but stock pads with stock lines and fluid.....I couldn't complain since i was just there to have fun.

The bigger-bader brakes I'm going to save for vehicles that are more made for the track.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM

CLS55
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Nissa...nd-Brakes.html
The Nissan GT-R has huge front and rear Brembo fully ventilated drilled steel disc brakes (ƒÓ380). They give superb pedal feel as well as immense stopping power.

The full floating rotors stabilize braking while also preventing heat distortion. The inner parts of the rotors have diamond-shaped ventilated ribs, to ease cooling, while the rotors are also cross drilled to run as cool as possible.

Brembo monoblock six-piston calipers are used in front and rear for four piston type. To generate strong braking force and prevent caliper distortion, racing-style three bolt structures are used.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM

CLS55 black opal
the brembo 6 piston GT calipers are different than brembo 6 piston OEM and MUCH different than the 6 piston GTR (which is what i'm talking about).
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Does anyone know where I can get the stock two piece rotors for a 2008 cls63? The dealership price is high? Just wondering if there is a cheaper way to get them.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by dacls63amg
Does anyone know where I can get the stock two piece rotors for a 2008 cls63? The dealership price is high? Just wondering if there is a cheaper way to get them.
Get the Evosport 2pc rotors, they weight a lot less too. I believe it's $2K for the fronts and rears.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dacls63amg
Evosport has 2 piece rotors that would be a nice upgrade from the stocks.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

SL63
P3-0 package ?

You dont say if you have the P30 package ? Upgrade the 14.2" fronts to the 15.4 from p30 package and the rears grow another inch also.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
Originally Posted by azncarjunkie
HAHA.

You r right the stocks are not up to par with the aftermarket.....but thats why he wants to up grade...i did my 500 from factory 4 piston front and single piston rear to 8 piston 2 piece 380 mm front and 360 4 piston rear.....Day an night difference...................

Brembo doesent make Bigger than 8 piston....They Manufacture for the world....AMG goes to Brembo so why go with Brabus who gets there Brake setup made by Rotora...............and 12 piston doesent mean it breakes better.......there will be more pull on the steering wheel......

If u r upgrading a CLS 63 Brembo is the way to go......Period..
Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 AM

CLS55 black opal
Originally Posted by UDWANIT2
You r right the stocks are not up to par with the aftermarket.....but thats why he wants to up grade...i did my 500 from factory 4 piston front and single piston rear to 8 piston 2 piece 380 mm front and 360 4 piston rear.....Day an night difference...................

Brembo doesent make Bigger than 8 piston....They Manufacture for the world....AMG goes to Brembo so why go with Brabus who gets there Brake setup made by Rotora...............and 12 piston doesent mean it breakes better.......there will be more pull on the steering wheel......

If u r upgrading a CLS 63 Brembo is the way to go......Period..
There's a bunch of dumb statements in there. Brabus is made by alcon, not Rotora. If you think your GT setup is better than brabus/alcon 12-pistons then you REALLY need help.

If he's upgrading his 63 brakes, the 8-piston GT's that you have wouldn't be that big of an upgrade. There are other options...Brembo just happens to a very convenient one.