C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Fuel smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010 | 09:21 PM

2006 cls55
Fuel smell in cabin

When I fill my cls55 with gas there is the smell of fuel in the car it whould go away after a day but this time it has been in the car for 3 days the smell of fuel. any answers thanks.

Last edited by alaink; 01-05-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 | 11:24 AM

CLS55
call the dealer, its a known problem with our cars, could be a seal (mine was the 1st time) or, it may not be the case in your situation but my gas tank was cracked about a week ago and had the same issue with fumes again...

They will want to replace the foam behind the seat $$$, I opted for them to not do so, the smell went away after a week...
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:46 AM

CLS55 AMG
I had the very same issue and it was a seal that gave way. The fix was a few hundred dollars; but the bad part is the fuel smell is now in my AMG seats and cannot get rid of it. Very Bad!
Old 03-07-2010 | 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Don't smoke in the back seat. Most likely this is where the fumes are coming from. The gas filter access is in the rear.

BTW.. there is a TSB on this issue with the fuel filter and the connections.

FILE:
SERVICE: GROUP 00 OF SERVICE INFORMATION BINDER
PARTS: GROUP I OF INFORMATION PARTS & ACCESSORIES BINDER

Campaign No. 2008020001, March 2008
Revision Date PurposeC 03/29/08 Revision to parts informationB 03/15/08 Revisions to work ProcedureA 03/14/08 Revisions to work Procedure- 03/07/08 Initial issue
TO:
ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS

SUBJECT:
MODELS 211 AND 219 AMG
MODEL YEARS 2003 - 2006

CHECK FUEL FILTER MODULE ASSEMBLY AND REPAIR OR REPLACE IF NECESSARY
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that when the subject vehicles are exposed to high ambient temperatures in combination with frequent stop and go driving small cracks may develop over time in the fuel filter module assembly due to mechanical stress. Fuel evaporation through these small cracks may lead to customer complaints of fuel smell and evaporative emissions standards may be exceeded. Dealers will check the fuel filter module assembly and repair or install an improved fuel filter module assembly if necessary. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) has therefore initiated a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign.
Shown in this bulletin is a sample copy of a letter which owners of the affected vehicles will receive.
Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
^Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
^Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the procedure steps exactly as described.

Please note that Recall and Service Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 8,011 vehicles are involved.
Old 04-21-2011 | 07:12 PM

CLS55 AMG
Oh, I wish so bad we had a semi-honest MB dealer in Tampa Florida. I not only spent a small fortune with them having this very thing fixed but they pinched a wire on reasembly and I had to take the car back to them for another day while the fixed it so my fuel guage would function properly.

These are the same guys who told me three of my wheels were bad and needed replaced.

Unreal!