C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Spare Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010 | 03:11 PM

CLS63
Spare Tire Question

Hi All couldn't find this with a search.

Does everyone else have a collapse-able spare tire? I have a spare wheel with a deflated tire and a plug in air compressor. Looks like this is STD, but just wondering.

Also, my real question is, once this tire is inflated, does it deflate back to that size again? Just doesn't seem like it till go back to that state one it's been inflated?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-07-2010 | 05:06 PM

CLS 55 AMG
I just bent my two front wheels, so I needed to take them off to take them to be repaired. I put the spare on one side and used the jack on the other side and left it jacked up for 2 days til I got my rims back. Long story short. I was surprised to see that collapsible spare also. It does deflate back.
Happy to have my beast back on the road.
Old 01-07-2010 | 11:21 PM

CLS63
ouch. glad to hear you are back on the road with round wheels. Thanks for the info. i thought for sure that tire would never deflate again. good to know!
Old 01-08-2010 | 11:01 PM

2008 CLS63 AMG
How much weight do you save if you take out the spare tires and tools?
Old 01-12-2010 | 01:18 AM

2007 CLS63 AMG 030; 1970 Ford Mustang Coupe
I was wondering about that too. I just figured I would never use it, I would just call for a flatbed.
Old 01-12-2010 | 10:03 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by drmike5000
I was wondering about that too. I just figured I would never use it, I would just call for a flatbed.
It's 2:30am, you're heading back from a party, your significant other is passed out in the passenger seat, BAM... blow out on a back road. No cars, or people in site... What would you rather do?

A: Pull over, and change your flat in 15-30min and be back on your way home?

B: Call for help, because you don't have a spare tire or tools to do so and wait 1-2 hours for help to arrive, then get towed back home?

Now I'm the first to go and perform "go fast mods" but on the subject of removing your spare tire and tools for the sake of saving some weight, I'm sorry and once again maybe it's just me, but I for one will not sacrifice the safety and security of having a spare tire and tools over the possibility of shaving .01 seconds off my time slips on a car I use as a daily commuter.

I often see people do this at race tracks and whatnot on imports and compact euro cars, but the term weight reduction and CLS really don't go hand in hand. Sure there's a lot of dead weight in a CLS, but that in itself is what makes the CLS the beast it is. If you want to go faster, don't tear away at the integrity and safety of your car. Perform the appropriate mods, and you'll be hard pressed to want anything more.

Leave the flatbeds to people who don't know how to change flats...
Old 01-20-2010 | 12:52 AM

All of them
they only weigh 15 lbs maybe. just tell the old lady to loose a few right? Then your old lady looses her spare tire and you get to keep yours. win win!

just pull the valve stem and it deflates pretty close to normal. you can hook it up to a vacuum and suck all the air out to make it like factory.
Old 01-20-2010 | 02:16 AM

:)
FYI. Since i run into problems almost monthly with my rims and tires... I leave my spare tire fully inflated and it still fits in the spare tire location in the trunk (it fits perfectly with room to spare).. so honestly, if weight isnt an issue but convience is. just inflated it and leave it in the trunk ready to go...
Old 01-07-2011 | 09:10 PM
Banned

benzo larenzo
I removed my spare all the tools and took my scale shaved 60 lbs i also replaced my battery with a 6lbs battery another 60 lbs shaved removed cats and resonator another 10 lbs. so about 130 lbs shaved for 150 bucks =D.
Old 01-10-2011 | 05:03 PM

CLS55 black opal
old thread revival?

Not worth the time or headache trying to save weight on these 4000lb pigs IMO. If you've ever taken the car to the track (race track, not drag), you won't tell a difference with a person sitting shotgun or not since the thing rolls over so much no matter what

I've taken the benz to the track a few times. It's fun because it's funny how much these things slush around the track.

If you go into some hardcore weight-cutting, I guess i could help, but don't think that it's going to be a luxury vehicle anymore.