C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Can't order the chrome-style Smart Key anymore?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55, 2006 Lotus Elise
Can't order the chrome-style Smart Key anymore?

I just went to my dealer in San Jose to try and get a new Smart Key for my '06 CLS55, and was informed by the parts department that they no longer have the chrome-style ones available, only the black-plastic ones (which is what originally came with the car). This was a total surprise to me, and the first I'd heard of such news... has anybody else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's just my dealer, and whether I need to find a new source for a key.

On a similar note, does anyone know if additional Smart Keys can be ordered from any dealer over phone/e-mail, or do you have to go in person to the dealer? I know that California dealers are pretty over-priced compared to their east coast brethren...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
You can get the new smart key. Those guys at the parts department are dumb. They dont know anything lol. I wonder if ebay would have any? Let me know though.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I ordered one as the third one last year. I went straight to them and give them the VIN number...come back 4 days later to get it and it was $215.

Andy
Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by dacls63amg
You can get the new smart key. Those guys at the parts department are dumb. They dont know anything lol. I wonder if ebay would have any? Let me know though.
eBay keys are no good, smart keys can only be programmed by dealer as of now.

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
I ordered one as the third one last year. I went straight to them and give them the VIN number...come back 4 days later to get it and it was $215.

Andy
Yeah, this seemed to be what they told me earlier... I could get chrome-style, cost was close to $300, and I go in and give VIN number and what-not. I finally decide to take the plunge last week, and my service rep tells me MB will no longer supply them the chrome ones (I'm assuming they can still get the chrome key for cars that came with them, altho I didn't ask).

I'll have to try calling up other local dealers tomorrow I guess.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Finally got this figured out, the style (chrome or black) depends on the VIN and what MB has in stock at that time (this is what multiple dealers told me). Lucky for me, after looking up my VIN, I was still eligible to get a chrome key (even tho the car came with black originally) for $275. So, after a few days wait, I now have a chrome key, yay!