Airmatic drop question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010 | 08:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
Airmatic drop question

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking on these boards for quite some time and obviously by my post count, am a new poster (not "poser").

I notice that there are a lot of individuals who have gone with lowering their Mercedes.

Yesterday, I was going to buy the Renntech digital lowering module for the 2008 CLS (it has airmatic). Before I decided to purchase, I thought I would call my Merc mechanic as he has been servicing my cars for years. He only works on Mercedes and has been servicing Mercedes for over 20 years.

When I asked him if I should buy this kit, he said;

"As cool as your CLS will look, if you don't mind purchasing shocks in a few months then go for it but I would never suggest for any of my clients to lower their Mercedes, even with a higher end unit such as Renntech or Brabus". He said that I would tear the shiat out of the shocks because I was lowering below the threshold of what the shocks were made to do.

He said that the shocks alone are $1500 a piece.

So, with that being said, I decided to forego that "cool" factor and stick with stock setup (other than rims, tint, body, etc).

My questions to all of you with lowered Mercs, are you expeiencing excessive wear and tear on your shocks? Have you had any issues, etc, etc.

Thanks and carry on.
Old 07-23-2010 | 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55, 2005 Boxster-S
Mercedes or not, you will always have excessive wear on your shocks and tires when lowered with severity increasing depending on how low you typically like to roll.
Old 07-26-2010 | 01:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
That is what I was afraid of.

Thanks