C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Electronic Trunk... Dead?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Electronic Trunk... Dead?

Just today my elec-trunk went dead on me. It was working fine, no unusual anything, then all of the sudden, when I went to open the trunk, it wouldn't lift up like it should.... I pulled it up and then when I pressed the close button, I hear the motor working away, but it doesn't budge... Anyone experiencing this? I wonder what went out of whack? It's never been used in any other manor other than opened with the latch (or key fob) and closed via the button.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Could be a loose connection between the motor and trunk?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Pulled the trunk panels off this afternoon to see if I could figure out what's wrong... The latch is working as it should, and everything mechanical like the hinges, gears, and so on, all look to be in perfect condition. The relay / module for the trunk closing circuit seems to be working, as I can hear it clicking (on/off) with every push of the button. The motor however isn't moving. I priced out the motor, and the cheapest I can find is around $450 shipped. Before I order it, I'm gonna pull it off and bench test it to be certain that is the problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
After some more testing, it seems the motor itself is actually good. I ran 12V to it and sure enough was able to make it move up and down. Next I disconnected the height / position sensor, and in doing so, the latch would not lock when the trunk lid was down. I assume this is due to the fact that it didn't know what position the lid was in, therefore that sensor is working correctly. The only thing left is the control module. I checked the motor output leads for power and noticed there were short bursts of 12V with every hit of the open / close button, but I'm not quite sure if they're long enough to run the motor.

The cheapest price on the module, $270...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Final update - Got the new control module in today and sure enough, PROBLEM SOLVED! Trunks working as it should, BUT... It now only opens up about half way. After doing a little research into this, I found out that it's normal. Apparently there's a height adjustment feature that needs to be accessed through I assume Star, so now I'm going to see if there's anyway else around it. Otherwise, now may be a good time to invest in one...

If anyone knows of anyway else to perform the height adjustment, please feel free to drop me a line. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
So it seems, unlike the dozens of posts claiming the height adjustment on the electronic trunk can ONLY be done through the Star system, you can adjust the height of the electronic trunk yourself, and guess what? It's SUPER EASY!

1. Open the trunk using the button in the drivers side door.
2. After the trunk opens up, pull back (in the open position) the button for roughly 5 seconds. The trunk will now open all the way up.
3. You can now adjust how far up or down you want it by pushing the button (in close push position). For every push in, the trunk will move down slightly.
4. To set and save the height, push down on the button (in the close position) for roughly 5 seconds.
5. You're done!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM

2006 CLS55, 2005 Boxster-S
Thanks for the DIY tips. My module went out as well but was still covered by warranty so had the dealer handle it. Will know what to do when warranty is up.