Vellano wheel help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Vellano wheel help

I am asking on this forum because I had a CLS and was a very active member plus I know some of you had Vellano wheels in the past.

I bought a set of 4 Vellano wheels and Conti tires for my CLS55. My CLS is actually on the Vellano website.

http://vellanowheels.com/gallery/VSO..._2/cls55_2.htm

The left front wheel has leaked incessantly and has resulted in 3 attempts to fix (2 by the "authorized Vellano dealer" and another last week by another wheel expert here in Greensboro). I have had to replace the tire as well because it was so frequently running low, it finally blew. It is still leaking 3-4 pounds per day and I am at my wits end and have actually considered selling the car or putting the stock wheels on it. I called the folks who I bought the wheels from who referred me to Vellano who recommended the folks who attpemted the fix in Greensboro. No doubt, they are out of warranty. What is the solution? Help????
Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by traumadoc
I am asking on this forum because I had a CLS and was a very active member plus I know some of you had Vellano wheels in the past.

I bought a set of 4 Vellano wheels and Conti tires for my CLS55. My CLS is actually on the Vellano website.

http://vellanowheels.com/gallery/VSO..._2/cls55_2.htm

The left front wheel has leaked incessantly and has resulted in 3 attempts to fix (2 by the "authorized Vellano dealer" and another last week by another wheel expert here in Greensboro). I have had to replace the tire as well because it was so frequently running low, it finally blew. It is still leaking 3-4 pounds per day and I am at my wits end and have actually considered selling the car or putting the stock wheels on it. I called the folks who I bought the wheels from who referred me to Vellano who recommended the folks who attpemted the fix in Greensboro. No doubt, they are out of warranty. What is the solution? Help????
selling the car because of faulty aftermarket rims is like burning your house down because u saw a cockroach. i hate to say it but this is often the case with aftermarket wheels - especially if u dont go with an HRE caliber wheel co (and even they have issues). where is it leaking from? anytime i have had your issue (which i have) it has been either a leak from the valve stem OR a bad silicone bead at the connecting joint. also occasionally the tire co who mounts the tire may be having a hard time mounting such an aggressive tire on the wheel and either messing up the valve stem or the seal. if u ship me the wheels ill get them built right and u should not have any more problems. vellano should be stepping up to the plate but either way wheel probs are a pain in the a$$.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is just one wheel.....

I am unsure where the leak is. Not the valve stem. This was fixed. There are apparently some tears in the tire where is has been fitted on and off 3 times now. The silicon has been re-beaded 3 times now.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Banned

SL55
Sounds like the bead seat on your tire is bad, you may need to buy new tires, you need to have a tire shop check the location of the leakage that will tell you how to repair it. They may have resealed the wheel 3 times but if the shop did not use the proper sealant, that may be the cause for the consistent leakage.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So frustrating

Originally Posted by RENNEN MODULAR
Sounds like the bead seat on your tire is bad, you may need to buy new tires, you need to have a tire shop check the location of the leakage that will tell you how to repair it. They may have resealed the wheel 3 times but if the shop did not use the proper sealant, that may be the cause for the consistent leakage.
This has been done and done again. The nice folks (Neal at Euroteck Motorsports) from whom I bought them has offered to fix or send to Vellano and fix. Seems nobody in Greensboro knows how to. I've put less than 8000 miles on the car in the past 2.5 years because it spends more time at the air station than it does at the gas station. This is really getting old.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

2006 CLS55, 2005 Boxster-S
"selling the car because of faulty aftermarket rims is like burning your house down because u saw a cockroach". - lol funny analogy beauphus

if the shop is willing to send it back to Vellano then definitely have them take care of it. perhaps the barrels need to be swapped. good luck man!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

True but......

[QUOTE=tzenri;4183144]"selling the car because of faulty aftermarket rims is like burning your house down because u saw a cockroach". - lol funny analogy beauphus

It is a pretty good reason to get a new toy. Gotta convince the wifeee ya know!