MCT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG, 2008 Mercedes-Benz S500
MCT?

Hey guys! New here from Hong Kong.

I'm a bit confused with the MCT transmission. MCT stands for multi-clutch transmission, does that mean it's a dual clutch tranny? Some reviews say it's also the 7-speed Speedshift auto without the torque converter but it was replaced with a wet start up clutch.

Is it also a dual clutch transmission? What exactly is a wet start up clutch?

Aside from the current E63 and SL63, what other AMG models use this?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 M156 C204
Hello there!

I am from Hk as well but currently residing in the states!

As far as i know, MCT is dual clutch, it has no torque converter but a wet clutch. The 7g tronic basically has single clutch and a torque converter.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Hi,
no, MCT is still a fully Automatic gearbox; it's NOT a so called "dual clutch" trans.

I am not an expert here but I see it this way:

you must consider that transmission of torque from the engine to the differential box (and hence to wheels) takes place in 2 different steps.

1st step (primary transmission) is from engine to the main shaft of the gearbox.

2nd step is from the main shaft to the different "gears".

tipically, the 1st step in classic Automatics is through the "torque converter".

The innovation with MCT (multi clutch trans) consists in that you have a pack of clutches instead of the TC (these disc-clutches are wet just because they are into oil).

see in the pic below these clutches in the first big pack to the left

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BUT the 2nd step still remain a classic Automatic gearbox

infact, what distinguishes the Auto gearbox is mainly the way all different gears are chosen and geared-in:
- in the classic Automatic, gears are selected through a system driven by oil pressure differentials that triggers different packs of additional clutches and, hence, all different gears. (you don't see these additional clutches in the pic above because they are inside and along the box core, to the right).
This system has been developed and enhanced with use of electronics that manage the timing of actuators who open/close the hydraulic circuits. Like, for example, our "Speedshift" gearbox.
The MCT in SL63 can be seen as a further enhancement... but we are still within the Automatic gearbox domain.

Different story, for example DCT gearboxes, is only when you don't have anymore hydraulics, clutches and solenoid actuators at managing the triggering and selection of all different gears.
Indeed, the functioning can still be "automated" (and infact these transmissions still have the possibility of an automatic mode), but it's no more dependant on the hydraulic play of oil entering and exiting into different circuits of different lenghts.

sorry for the naive exposure.
anybody more in the know please correct me any wrong concept.

Last edited by dyno; 11-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.