C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Need help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Need help please

I purchased a cls55 from a non-Mercedes dealer a couple months ago. When I test drove the car, the supercharger wasn't working. So they took the car to Mercedes and they advised me it simply needed a new belt. I didn't think much of it at the time and purchased the car. I did ask for a copy of the receipt but they said they threw it away.

A month later, the supercharger belt started to shred so I took it to my local Mercedes dealer. They advised me the car had aftermarket pulleys and exhaust installed and the SC belt was shredded again - actually tore up the hood protector. So I called the original dealer that I purchased the car from and insisted they send me a copy of the original belt invoice. They sent me the invoice and Mercedes actually stated on the invoice that the belt was shredded and laying on the floor... also stated the car had after market pulleys and exhaust --- none of this was disclosed to me when I bought the car.

The dealer that sold me the car then said he would sell me a warranty that would cover future problems and assured me the SC would be covered. Obviously the warranty will not cover the SC due to the after market parts.

I've called the dealer three times and sent an email but no response yet. I'm not real excited about owning this car knowing the SC won't be covered under warranty.

Any suggestions...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
If the belt is being shredded, the first thing any shop (dealer or not) should do is figure out why. The fact that you have an aftermarket pulley or not is irrelevant, unless it is the 100% cause, and they can prove that without any doubt.

With that said, what you'll want to check for is to see if you have the correct belt. Find out who makes the pulley, or get its size, and then contact the manufacturer (or cross reference the diameter with any brand) to see what the appropriate length belt is. You'll also want to make sure you're using the highest quality and strongest belt available.

Next, inspect the tensioner and all moving parts (the belt is in direct contact with) including the pulley itself for any excessive play, wear or runout. Chances are if you do in fact have the right belt, something here is either out of alignment, loose or defective.

Last but not least, inspect the SC pulley / clutch setup. Make sure it spins freely and engages as it should without issue. Not that its common, but a bad supercharger or clutch assembly could also be the culprit.

As for getting things done under warranty through MB, that's going to be a bit of a fight. They'll always point the finger to any aftermarket part that may increase performance thus producing more "wear and tear" as the voiding factor. Some understanding and knowledgeable dealers are willing to work with customers with aftermarket parts, while others profusely refuse to. Who you'll run into is often a toss of the coin.

Now on the other hand, if the extended warranty that this dealer is going to sell you allows you to have repairs done outside MB dealerships / service centers, you'll have much better luck finding a shop that is willing to work with you. Just make sure whomever you go to has experience in working with such vehicles and they have the appropriate electronic equipment to perform accurate diagnostic services.

If things get too frustrating and you end up facing a wall, you can always tell your local MB dealer to swap out the aftermarket pulley with an OEM one and get everything back to stock again. You'll have to pay for that service (since they have to remove the aftermarket component(s), but that should enable the factory warranty again. Just a plausible option to consider...

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Thanks for the response. I have a good dealer, but I'm guessing it's pretty hard to get the warranty company to pay if something major happens - won't they come out and inspect the car and then realize the after market components?

My biggest complaint is that the dealer who sold the car didn't mention the belt being shredded nor the after market parts. He then proceeded to sell me a warranty knowing the supercharger wouldn't be covered (due to after market parts) but assured me it was in fact covered. I would be more than happy returning the car but it's been several months and I fear I have few options.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
does anyone else think that was really slimy of the dealer or am i overreacting?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM

CLS55
an attorney may be of help on this one. Its tuff when you you buy non CPO.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 PM

1995 gt
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm