C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Ouch, damn Pothole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Ouch, damn Pothole

hit a pothole in Ktown monday night... it hurt.

Wheel is at Wheels America getting repaired, well see how it goes...

Anyone ever put a claim to the city to pay for this?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Two things here...

1. I once put it in "pothole claim" for bending one of my rims I had on my previous G35. I got a police report, took pictures of the pothole, provided the original invoice, and after 2 months of waiting for the city to respond I was DENIED due to the fact that I had AFTERMARKET WHEELS!!!! They don't make it easy for you...

2. I've worked with Wheels America on quite a few occasions, and although they may seem to get the job done (in 24hrs nonetheless), it's not to say the job is done well. Out of the half a dozen rims I have repaired over the past few years with them, all of which have routinely caused problems down the road. From never really being straight ever again, to cracks forming where they repaired the rim. It's become my rule of thumb to consider any such repair to be nothing more then a temporary band aid. I know paying $125-$150 for a repair sounds MUCH better then shelling out the big bucks for a new rim, but in all honesty, the rim (IMO) is NEVER the same after the repair. Last but not least, if the rim requires painting, which most of the time it will, I can pretty much assure you there's always going to be a slight difference in color when compared to the others. Thankfully due their placement on each corner of the car, it'll be hard to tell, unless you take them off and plan on selling them down the road. At which one may see one rim that stands out a bit...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Ouch, was it losing air? I would take pics of the pothole if possible in case the city repairs it before you make a claim.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 PM

CLS55
thanks Duc, I do agree that the wheels are never the same after, well see how it comes out, color matching was a concern, they have my rear wheel too so at least one side of the car will match, i do hope its close though.
@ssonss1, surprisingly it wasn't loosing air, I probably wont make a claim to much work than its worth.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
Tried to make a claim from San Gabriel (huge pothole, was filled with rain so didnt see it in time) called the city, was told I need to fill out a request form but at the same time the lady on the other end told me straight up that if they paid me for it I'd be the first one ever to get a payment for such a thing!!! They have every excuse in the world not to pay you like act of nature, running low-profile aftermarket wheels, etc....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM

03 CL500 amg package/08 Audi S6/07 Range Rover Sport/06 cls55/09 c63
had a similar problem while driving my range rover and blew out 2 24'' tires and cracked the inner barrels of the 24'' wheels doing about 95 on the local highway and hit a hugeeeee pot hole probably the size of a queen size bed- lol -had to get towed and put the stock wheels on and i am fighting the state now trying to get reimbursed.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brilliant Silver CLK 320
Yes! A few years ago my chrome rims on my 636 motorcycle were damaged due to a pothole, filed a claim with the city and I was reimbursed 130% the damage. Don't hesitate, get a lawyer!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by s600ed
Tried to make a claim from San Gabriel (huge pothole, was filled with rain so didnt see it in time) called the city, was told I need to fill out a request form but at the same time the lady on the other end told me straight up that if they paid me for it I'd be the first one ever to get a payment for such a thing!!! They have every excuse in the world not to pay you like act of nature, running low-profile aftermarket wheels, etc....
I have heard that alot, aftermarket wheels, low pro tires.

Originally Posted by rcbenz
had a similar problem while driving my range rover and blew out 2 24'' tires and cracked the inner barrels of the 24'' wheels doing about 95 on the local highway and hit a hugeeeee pot hole probably the size of a queen size bed- lol -had to get towed and put the stock wheels on and i am fighting the state now trying to get reimbursed.
let us know how it goes. So far it seems like the City is reluctant to pay for these things.

Originally Posted by Mslaughter
Yes! A few years ago my chrome rims on my 636 motorcycle were damaged due to a pothole, filed a claim with the city and I was reimbursed 130% the damage. Don't hesitate, get a lawyer!
Did you get representation? what City?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM

CLS55
wheels fixed, visually they look straight, color match is just a little bit off, but not noticeable. Will be mounting them up tonight, well see if they balance well.
wheel on the right is the repaired one, left wheel is a bit dirty.