C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Potomac German Auto ... Two thumbs up!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Potomac German Auto ... Two thumbs up!!!

Just wanted to give the guys at Potomac German Auto down in Maryland a solid TWO THUMBS UP for going the extra mile in taking care of their customers!!!

As some of you may remember, I ran into some tranny problems this past Winter.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...fun-begin.html

Bottom line, I toasted the 722.643 tranny in my CLS55 and was in need of a replacement.

After shopping around for a while now (and pretty much dealing with shady individuals and shops), I ended up calling up the guys over at Potomac (thanks to a tip from Brent "khelawanb") and was over joyed to hear they had a BRAND NEW OEM 722.643 tranny sitting in there warehouse in Maryland and that it was just $2500! The same tranny the dealer wanted over $7K for!!! It was listed in their system as being a new dealer surplus item.

Without hesitation I left a small deposit on my credit card and 2 days later, got on the road to make the 10 hour drive (round trip) from Long Island, NY to pick up my new tranny.

I get down to Potomac's shop, pay the remaining balance on my purchase, but when they bring out my so-called new tranny, it's FAR from new. In fact, it actually turns out to be a MB factory rebuilt unit that didn't appear or feel to be in all that good condition. The output shaft had way to much play and turning it over a few times, it sounded as if it may have a bad pump. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this unit was NOT NEW nor was it any good. As you can imagine, I wasn't a happy camper...

After some phone calls and speaking with the powers that be, it seems someone on their end had mislabeled the tranny as being new. Instead of trying to pull one over me, and come up with some BS, the guys over at Potomac apologized and took full responsibility for the mistake. They immediately sourced out another 722.643 tranny (out of an 06 E55 with verifiable low miles) that they had in their FL location. Price would be $2K even (tax included), and to help with the 10 hour round trip drive I took down to their location, they offered to ship the tranny to my front door within 3 days, include the original electronic control unit, wiring harness, rear mount, and torque converter, and give me a full 1 year parts & labor warranty on the unit FREE OF CHARGE!!! The extended parts and labor warranty and shipping alone was worth over $500, not to mention the extra transmission components.

Well, I agreed and as promised, 3 days later right on the dot, the tranny was delivered in perfect condition. A few days after I had it installed at a friends shop, and I'm happy to report, my car is back on the road!!! The transmission and all the supplied components are working flawlessly!

The guys over at Potomac hit a home run with customer service in my book! They could have totally been like, well this is it, and that's that, take it or leave it, but they didn't. They did what they felt was necessary to make good on a simple human error, which is why I will return to them with all my used and salvage part needs.

With that said, if anyone out here is in need of ANY late model MB, Audi, BMW, or Porsche part, give them a call!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I have delt with them in the past and had the same excellent service! Good group to work with!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM

CLS55
way to bring her back Duc!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
Very good company to deal with, I have in the past... I'm glad you are roilln again!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Nice one bro! I'm glad you took my advice!

I will buy a tranny from them soon.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1, love Potomac but gotta say that was a scary mistake. Non knowledgeable buyers would have bought and installed the dud tranny.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Yup, P.G.A. is great. They're 10 minutes from my house, luckily.

Did you deal with Pat? Super great dude.