C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Bad Fuel Sending Unit???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG
Angry Bad Fuel Sending Unit???

So I was driving home the other day and out of no where my car just dies on me. I turn the key over and I get nothing but the engine turning over...

Sounds like it's out of gas, but my gauge is showing I have gas (three bars worth). So working off that hunch, I get a small 3 gallon gas tank, fill it up, and then pour it in to my tank... I primed the fuel pump a few times then it started it right up!

Looking at the dash I notice my gas gauge is now showing I have 3/4 worth of gas. Knowing all too well 3 gallons won't fill my tank 3/4 of the way, I'm leaning torward thinking that maybe the fuel sending unit inside the tank has gone bad. Showing more gas then I really have...

Anyone experience this or know more about this problem? There's always a first for everything, but I fugured I would post this up in case anyone has similar occurrence.

FYI... The OEM pump and sending unit combo is roughly $370 (discounted online price)...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
sounds like a bad sending unit. I'm pretty sure you can buy the sending unit separately, but at $370 you might as well get the sending unit/pump. did you take out the pump to check yet? maybe the floater is bad.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Before you spend the $ Check to see if there is a factory Bulletin on this more or less entitled Fuel System Ethanol Corrosion. They replace many of these parts you mention with improved parts. Please replace the fuel filter too. You may want to call MB directly.

Do you use Techron? You should. No knock on the southern Metro area but I was there recently and got some bad gas probably because of the seasonal switchover. An extra dose of Techron and some Shell 93 helped.

I know the Bulletin covers V12s but it may also be applicable to other cars. I do not know if MB picks up the bill or not since that is usually problematic under the best of circumstances and I do not want to get in a pixxing contest.

Please report back.

Last edited by grane; 07-07-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM

CLK 55 AMG
Could also be an issue with the crankshaft position sensor. It happened to me several times last summer and that was the culprit.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by msmartinsmu
Could also be an issue with the crankshaft position sensor.
BINGO! That's exactly what it was!!!

The whole fuel thing was just a weird coincidence, and I must note, after I started and drove the car, the gauge did settle back to normal.

Anyhow back to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor), I retrieved code P0335 which from what I researched basically translated into most likely a faulty CPS. Price for the genuine MB part through the dealer was a little over $140, $65 for the Bosch OEM equivalent, and $48 for the generic brand X through Napa.

I opted for the Bosch unit, and had the faulty CPS swapped out in roughly 20 minutes with everyday hand tools.

The car started right up! Problem solved!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Originally Posted by DucatiGuy
BINGO! That's exactly what it was!!!

The whole fuel thing was just a weird coincidence, and I must note, after I started and drove the car, the gauge did settle back to normal.

Anyhow back to the CPS (crankshaft position sensor), I retrieved code P0335 which from what I researched basically translated into most likely a faulty CPS. Price for the genuine MB part through the dealer was a little over $140, $65 for the Bosch OEM equivalent, and $48 for the generic brand X through Napa.

I opted for the Bosch unit, and had the faulty CPS swapped out in roughly 20 minutes with everyday hand tools.

The car started right up! Problem solved!!!
Nice fix.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM

CLS55;S63;W12;F450
My CLS55 AMG just did the same thing on my wife yesterday can u tell me where the (CPS) is located thanks in advance. She was driving down the road and it just cut off and will not crank sounds a lot like op