C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Incorrect location, navigation malfunction + vibration & weird sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
ER1

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tesla Model S P85D
Incorrect location, navigation malfunction + vibration & weird sound?

1. I have a '06 CLS55 AMG. I noticed that my COMAND navigation system has suddenly developed a weird malfunction: the position information is off about 20-30 km (20 miles). Thus, the map shows my location being somewhre totally else where I really am. Is there any way to reset the location? What could cause such a problem? Luckily I have the German MB used car warranty (Gebrauchtwagengaranti), which hopefully would cover repairs, but weird electric problems have made me a bit scary of the quality of MB.

I don't know if this could be related to the above problem, but I had another weird experience about 6 months ago after my car was in the official MB service that replaced my front and rear windows. After the repair my electric trunk opener stopped working, my battery was dead, and my COMAND TV system malfunctioned so that a full battery totally drained in just 1 day. During the repair, they had to override the TV system to end the power drain, because the repair cost would have been EUR 3000 for parts + work costs, and repairing the Analog TV system would not have made sense. Also, the service company did not want to assume liability for the damages, although all problems came after their service. I spoke with a large German MB repair and they said they have never heard that the TV tuner would malfunction and would need replacing.

2. Another issue (?) that I've noticed is that sometimes during highway speeds there has sometimes been a few second long weird whining/whistling sound which is quite high-pitched and goes higher during the few seconds that it lasts and then just goes away. The sound seems to come somewhere in the front (left?) and it only comes maybe once a month. I can't come up with any answers what could cause the sound, perhaps the only one being that it might be related to the air suspension and perhaps air coming out or something. I've noticed that my suspension lowers by maybe 2cm if I don't use the car for a few days. Is this normal?

3. The last issue is that I feel a vibration in the steering wheel (=tires) when my speed is around 95-120 km/h (60-75 mph). The 18" Pirelli P Zero tires have been balanced, but could this be something else than the tires? The vibrations have been there since I bought the car (I just changed new OEM AMG rims, old rubber). When I bought the car, I changed the old summer alloy rims to winter tires, and the old summer tires were installed on the new OEM AMG alloys. However, there was a similar vibration with the new winter tires (these are the old summer alloy rims on which my current vibrating summer tires were) at the same speed, but after alot of magic work from the tire workshop they managed to correct the winter tire vibration (perhaps the old alloys were the problem), but my summer tires (that are now on new OEM AMG alloy rims) are still vibrating after the balancing at highway speeds. Could it be that the old alloys (that are now my winter alloys) were somehow damaged and thus the tires became damaged also and now when I put the old tires on new alloys the vibration continues? Any tips?

Sorry for the very long post with many issues and thanks in advance for any replies & help.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG (Fully branded CLS 63 AMG / Special Color Ferrari Grigio Titanio)
Hi,

Issue # 1 = Had this issue last winter... with identical symptoms...
GPS Satellite info should display "0" since no satellites are captured by your navigation system...
That was due to GPS Antenna on the top of your rear glass
BTW, I had the automatic trunk issue and 2 components were replaced... Potentiomter and lock engine part...

Issue # 2 = likely due to your changed windscreen..
This is a well know issue that can occur when you change a windscreen and it's not operated properly...
It can also be your ventilation on the dashboard that you can easily check and clean to make sure...
But I would opt for the 1st assumption based on what you mentioned about your windscreen...

Issue # 3 = vibrations can have different root cause...
Balance: easy to fix at a tyre shop with rigorous balance maintenance
Bad condition tyre structure: when structure is bad or folded for any reasons (default when manufactured.... second hands tyres damaged with unmount/new mount), this symptom can occur...
Alignment of the car: should be checked and performed every year (not that expensive if done out of a MD dealer...)
I perform alignment on my CLS AMG and my Porsche 996TT every year...
Last but not least and quite unlikely: suspension default...

Hope it helps...
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
ER1

Tesla Model S P85D
Thanks Elrajel very much for your detailed reply!

I am taking my car to the MB service so that they can have a look at the navigation issue and the tire vibration, which are the two main concerns.

Is it normal that the air suspension notably lowers after about 3-4 days. It doesn't lower gradually as if it would leak but rather it lowers suddenly after the 3-4 days as if it were a "power (pressure?) saver" feature. Since my car is under MB warranty and has been inspected several times, I myself don't consider it a problem, but it would be nice to know for a fact.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM
ER1

Tesla Model S P85D
By the way, it's funny you have a Porsche 996TT, because my previous car was a 996TT! I miss the AWD grip of the Porsche and I really hate the poor traction of the CLS... 700Nm of torque is just too much for two tires, this car would really need AWD like the Porsche especially in the winter and wet conditions.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-350
Originally Posted by ER1
1. I have a '06 CLS55 AMG. I noticed that my COMAND navigation system has suddenly developed a weird malfunction: the position information is off about 20-30 km (20 miles). Thus, the map shows my location being somewhre totally else where I really am. Is there any way to reset the location? What could cause such a problem? Luckily I have the German MB used car warranty (Gebrauchtwagengaranti), which hopefully would cover repairs, but weird electric problems have made me a bit scary of the quality of MB.
It may be a problem with your GPS receiver, Under the American CPO plan it would be covered, that leads me to believe that it will be covered for you too. If you really want to make sure, have a local dealer send you a contract sample for your warranty it will be mentioned the the contract if it is covered.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG (Fully branded CLS 63 AMG / Special Color Ferrari Grigio Titanio)
Originally Posted by ER1
By the way, it's funny you have a Porsche 996TT, because my previous car was a 996TT! I miss the AWD grip of the Porsche and I really hate the poor traction of the CLS... 700Nm of torque is just too much for two tires, this car would really need AWD like the Porsche especially in the winter and wet conditions.
Hi ER1,

Yeah... I totally agree the 996TT is an amazing car
I love it and this is why I don't want to sell it and decided to give it to my daughter in a few years when she'll be eligible to drive

Regarding the CLS AMG, I almost fixed the traction issue by first upgrading to 20'' and changing my tyres from these Pirelli crap to Continental ContiSport 5P

Discussing with one of my friend having a tyre shop and quite experienced with AMG models, that were the 2 axis of improvement I decided to opt for...

I was astonished with the grip capabilities of Conti SP 5P in 20'' compared to other tyre brands I experienced before...

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 on my 996TT and I confirm I'm now quite close with the CLS in terms of Grip and stability, on both dry and wet roads...

This is a great combination that you should think about if you're still unconfident with your CLS...

BTW, regarding your suspension issue, it should lower just a few seconds after ignition Off....

Check your battery if not too old and to weak to handle that function...
The date is usually present on one of the 2 poles... so if older than 5 years... it can be weak sometimes and bypass some comfort and other functions...

Thanks

Last edited by Elrajel; 07-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.