C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Supercharger Chirp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 IWC Ingenieur CLS 55 AMG
Supercharger Chirp

Another Supercharger chirp question. Went through and read all threads I could find.

My 2006 CLS 55 AMG's supercharger engages roughly. I have an extended warranty but the extended warranty co. doesn't want to fix for 1500.00 at Mercedes because they aren't sure it's the problem despite Mercedes and myself telling them they think it is.

My question is if these A-Holes won't pay Mercedes to fix it, does anybody know where I can buy a whole supercharger clutchpack (bearing,pulley,clutch) besides dealership? I can get it installed by local shop much cheaper than MB if I have to go that route.

I tried mbpartswharehouse.com because someone said they had. They say it's a dealer only part?

I have found the Nachi bearing on Ebay for 48.00, but not sure this would fix it?

My car has 25,000 miles and recently the supercharger idler pulley came apart and threw the supercharger belt. Chirp still there after they fixed so I assume the rough clutch engaging casued this? More proof this clutch is bad?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG
This is the first I have heard of this problem. I’m guessing it is the belt/slash clutch slipping. But what is causing that chirp? Supercharger? Any noticeable performance losses? I suggest fighting to have MB resolve the issue. If not, pay to have them fix it.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 IWC Ingenieur CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by mercwhip
This is the first I have heard of this problem. I’m guessing it is the belt/slash clutch slipping. But what is causing that chirp? Supercharger? Any noticeable performance losses? I suggest fighting to have MB resolve the issue. If not, pay to have them fix it.
It's a fairly common problem as there are many threads about it here. Some just hear an audible chirp when the supercharger clutch engages others have a noticeble jerk when it engages. If you do a google search you find many people with the same clutch problem. Mine doesnt make a noise, but it has an annoying jerk when it engages. Sometimes subtle othertimes jerks pretty hard.

No power loss as it works fine once engaged. The electromagnetic clutch is supposed to enagage smoothly, but it's not.

Mercedes would love to fix the problem, but the warranty company won't cover until it gets worse. They aren't sure it would fix it even though the service manager is.

If the extended warranty company won't cover I will buy the part and either fix myself or pay local shop to install. Screw MB 200.00/HR!