C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS 55 AMG with Brand New engine. Good Deal or Bad buy ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
CLS 55 AMG with Brand New engine. Good Deal or Bad buy ?

Xpost from CLS forum.

So I was on my way to collect my CLS55 AMG, when the bank calls and tells me there is a problem. Long story short, the asset check for outstanding finance, accidents, write-offs theft etc fails. When we investigate why it turns out the engine number does not match the chasis number. When they check on the MB system it appears that the car had its engine completely replaced 1500 KM before. The dealer emails me the record of their service replacement.. 40K dollars !!!! A brand new engine was fitted. The MB dealer said its the most expensive job card they've ever done.

So now I wait the weekend whilst MB updates the HPI agency with the new engine number so the check can be carried out. This gives me an opportunity to ask you experts for thoughts...

This AMG has an engine that is brand new. On the surface of it, its a great stroke of luck. I have test driven it - and on my first test drive (before this was detected) the transmission in M mode got stuck in second gear and wouldnt change (until I powered off the car). The dealer checked and it didnt happen to him, nor did it happen on my second test drive. The power on the engine is incredible, the handling is superb, and despite the over oranginess of the wood of the interior I love the car (but will mod the AV system). I dont yet know why they replaced the engine. But I have seen the original MB invoices of the dealer who did the work - and it makes for a four page invoice

The dealer will also hold the price he locked with me before we discovered the engine issue. Other cars in Autotrader here are about 13-16 thousand USD more expensive for similar mileage (the car was already cheap)
The car has 78K km on the clock (48K miles).
Any advice ? Buy or walk ?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS63 AMG
its somewhat common for this engine to be replaced but i still wouldn't buy it without full warranty.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM

2003 CL 600,bmw 525i,sls caddy,gmc 2500,ford f-250
run forest run..

pass.. there are way to many to out there , find another one.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by Saeedg48
its somewhat common for this engine to be replaced but i still wouldn't buy it without full warranty.
+1 Gotta have full warranty or walk. Mr Tranny or Mr Torque Convertor could be ready go south.

Hopefully it's something minor like a TCU reflash but what if.

Tough situation....good luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM

CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
thanks for the advice. I went to Mercedes today and got the inside scoop of the car. It turns out nothing was wrong with the old engine. I saw the customer and service record of the car, and its a horrifying tale of owner versus company.

The former owner was the head of a large law firm in my area. He bought the extended pay nothing plan from Merc (still valid for another 18 months). Meaning service is free, oil, brake pads, wipers, as well as a pay nothing warranty. He thought this meant every small thing I see wrong they will inspect deeply type of service.

Long story short, the car doesnt idle at 500 RPM perfectly all of the time (neither does my CLK55, or any other 55 I have driven). The former owner was convinced that when the idle changed slightly it was because the engine wasnt working properly. He brought it in 10 times to run codes etc - all with clean bill of health and no issue from the computer. Service manager tried explaining that big block mercs sometimes idle differently depending on temperature, electrical load etc. He didnt take well to that explanation and filed a law suit against Mercedes Benz South Africa for misrepresentation, etc etc.

As a matter of procedure they notified germany and AMG that they were being sued. Immediately, rather than face litigation from someone who owns a law firm they flew a brand new engine out, and one of the assembly techs from germany (whose name is on my engine now) to install it. The original engine is now in the workshop area for all mechanics to see (its a bit of a trophy), I saw it today.

As for the transmission issue. They explained that when the car goes into second gear only and wont shift its because the transmission is in emergency mode. It went in as the Engine told the computer that its brand new and was being driven too hard. So to prevent over usage during the break in period the transmission does this if being driven too hard for the first 1500km. When I drove it for the first time - I didnt know the engine was new and thus I spanked the beast - till the safety programme kicked in.

So after your cautious feedback I triple checked the facts, chatted with the service team, met the super nice mechanic crew who assisted the german engineer in changing the issue, and saw "customer satisfaction, no technical issue" on the job card as the reason for replacement. After all things considered, I am delighted to welcome my newest AMG into the family, and will keep her, until the extended warranty runs out. I get her tomorrow and I cant wait !
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
congrats on the purchase and new engine that came with it!!!