Alternator woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Alternator woes

Hey guys,

On my way home, I saw a small puff of light smoke coming from the right side of the hood at a stop light and could smell a faint electrical burning odor. Shortly thereafter I received a low battery warning on the console followed by visit shop/battery alternator-stop vehicle red warning sign on the console.
I made it home but my battery is so dead I can't even open the trunk. I'd like to recharge my battery so I can drive it the the local indy shop so they can troubleshoot. I'm most certain the alternator is dead. But perhaps it's the regulator or something else?

About 3 months ago, the alternator pulley broke and had it replaced. This wouldn't have anything to do with it? I also run a 1000W amp that pushes two 12" subs in the trunk.

Any insight would be tremendously helpful. Especially figuring out how I can open my trunk to charge the battery. I'd like to drive the car to the shop myself.

I read AMG alternators run $1100! Ouch. Can these be rebuilt for less?

Thanks so much,

James
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Found the mechanical key hole under trunk handle and got in. Battery was at 11.4V. Recharging overnight. To pull the alternator, does the radiator need to be removed first? Or perhaps it can be accessed from the right wheel well? Or from underneath?
Read the brushes on the voltage regulator may be the problem. Crossing fingers this is the case...
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
I know it's late on this one, but I am having kind of the same issue. My car runs, but only off the battery. When in dyno meter mode the car reads 11.4 volts, and after some time, it will die. I have replaced the voltage regulator with the old alternator, I have replaced th alternator as a whole, and now I still have the same problem. What did you evert figure out????