C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

08 CLS63 Audio woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63 AMG
08 CLS63 Audio woes

Okay - I've seen a few audio forums but none really seemed to provide much clarity. I'll attack this thing again and hopefully find a course of action for my humble stereo.

My center channel is on it's last leg and volume wise - the benz is nothing short of a complete letdown. A friend of mine was given a 2012 C230 loaner and that stereo blew my mind. I know the folks in the market for a 110k car aren't looking for the same things as those looking at the C230 but come on, Mercedes...

As a humble 2008 cls owner - what are some options out there? I'm willing to throw a couple(+/-) grand at this thing. Thanks to another thread I've got the sub issue worked out but need everything else.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W219 CLS63
What was your sub issue? and what actually is up with your center channel?

07 CLS 63 here, got some stereo issues as well, maybe you can help.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM

08 CLS63 AMG
I know there's a Hertz (brand) HL70 (model) speaker floating around out there. I don't believe they are in production any longer. That is a direct plug-n-play replacement and vast improvement for the center in our car. My stock cracks and buzzes at higher volumes with a variety of music types.

The sub is just... made of butter, or possibly old bicycle tubes because it may as well not be there at all. Ideally I'm looking to put a single 12" sub w/ compact enclosure against the back of the back seats in the trunk. Folks w/ sub enclosures typically remove the stock sub in the rear deck to allow for more 'oomph' to get into the cabin. I'm not looking for a ghetto-blaster set up - just something that I can hear w/ the windows down on the highway.

Removing the stock sub doesn't appear to be difficult if you take your time. This will create a shrouded port into the trunk There is a wiring harness visible from within the trunk on the underside of the deck from the drivers side going to the sub. Two (of the multiple) wires will be the sub +/- and will adequately provide 'sub' signal to the sub amp of your choosing.

The logistics behind a sub upgrade aren't terribly complicated. My main focus was exploring ways to upgrade the entire stereo without negatively affecting my steering wheel controls/dash computer/nav/ect.. I assume the main speaker amp? That's why I posted this thread.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W219 CLS63
Wow, haha, you went way more in depth.

The only input I could give is to find better replacements for the speakers and subs already in the car and still not have that loud "ghetto" sound...

The only problem I have is things rattling within the cabin when the bass is up, I think the Harmon Kardon's in the Benz are pretty decent. I havent heard a comparison between the new C-class. But i do think that the sound quality in the CLS is ALRIGHT.. not top notch like it should be, but it holds up pretty well.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 PM

cls 63 amg
how much time does it take to replace rear main seal on a 08
cls63
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Search or

Originally Posted by Bossman1340
how much time does it take to replace rear main seal on a 08
cls63
Post your question separately, please. Etiquette forum wise is useful.