CLS55 motorcycle hit... weird sound afterwards :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S
CLS55 motorcycle hit... weird sound afterwards :(

Guys,

Today while I was making a stupid u-turn, I didn't see a motorcycle, and it hit my car wheel first right on the driver side of my front bumper, thank god he was ok, no harm, just a little scared, good thing he wasn't going fast, I paid for his bike repairs and all, and the hit really didn't do much to my bumper (ripped it, but I mounted it back on), nothing cosmetic was severely damaged, all lights intact, all working.

After further inspection, he did bent the metal thingy where our bumpers line up, but I was shocked that he could bent that metal thing, because it seems to be part of the metal frame of the car and it is really thick and small, I think he hit it directly with his front wheel.

Anyway, that will be fixed, but NOW, the bummer... my car now makes like a hydraulic sound after certain speed (30mph), as if the air suspension were trying to work but were stuck.
Has anybody had any experience with this sound? (it's sounds like low volume "eeeerrggg", like a little crane going up), at first I thought it was a misplaced plastic panel making funny noises, but I have run the car with the windows down and it even vibrates, like if something were stuck on my front wheels..., which worries me and leads me to believe it might be something a bit more serious, like maybe he damaged something from the suspension, but how could he?, if the hit was right on the left corner of the front bumper?, I would imagine Mercedes would never put any sensitive electronic modules so far up front considering that is usually where you hit or get hit.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Kelvin07; 10-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Red Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series
Take it to the body shop and have them do an inspection and give you an estimate.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by AC24
Take it to the body shop and have them do an inspection and give you an estimate.
I don't worry about cosmetic work, I am concerned about electronic damage to a suspension module or something similar
Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Red Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series
Any body shop or mechanic shop local should be able to help you out. If not, take it to the dealer.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Sorry to hear about the accident, that sucks.

Sounds like an air strut might be damaged. If you need to replace it, you can get one from Arnott for about half the cost of the OEM part, and it has a lifetime warranty.

If the air strut suddenly fails the car won't be drivable as the front wheel will be buried in the well so no way to steer. I'd suggest keeping a short piece of a 2x4 in your trunk (about 4-5" long)... if it does crap out, you can jack up the car, insert it between the strut and top of the wheel wheel, and drive it to a repair shop.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM

Thanks!

The wheel is not buried, but as soon as the air suspension tries to go up, the vibration is visible and loud, even is the car is still.

It sounds as if whatever lifts the suspension is damaged, i dont know if it is the compressor or a loose hose or has, it makes a "compressor" loud noise, not the usual tight airmatic inflate/deflate noise, this only happens where the bike hit me, on the front bumper drivers side, and it vibrates right behind the headlight...

Last edited by Kelvin07; 10-22-2012 at 12:41 AM.