C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Help with mods please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Help with mods please...

Hey guys, I'm new to the "modding" world and need some assistance... I recently purchased an 09 CLS63..
I'm already Eurocharged tuned, and now it's time for more.
Here's where I'm at... I was going to get a LTH system, (headers, mid pipes, x pipes and cats). Then I read how loud they are and I don't want that for my DD. I spoke with mike from MBH and he suggested JUST the LTH and leave the rest stock. it would Give me nice HP gains and only a lil more sound. This option sounds great to me and is exactly what I'm looking for.
So, 3 questions to go along with the LTH:
1) Is a larger 82mm TB worth the high price tag to send more air in to the engine?
2) If so, would I need the ROW air boxes or something like the crazy priced Renntech air box to go along with the TB?
3) if I increase the air flow in with the TB and air box, will the LTH's alone be sufficient enough to let the exhaust out, or would the rest of it (past the LTH) need to be swapped out for it to escape?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM

S63
Bump, someone has to know something...
Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I would put the LTH on and see how you like the power, bofore throwing big bucks at TB and air boxes. Good drop in K&N style filters will help some but stock air flow is not that horrible and LTH will give you good bang for the buck.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM

S63
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I would put the LTH on and see how you like the power, bofore throwing big bucks at TB and air boxes. Good drop in K&N style filters will help some but stock air flow is not that horrible and LTH will give you good bang for the buck.
Great, thanks for the help... Can you suggest the best set of LTH's? I was thinking MBH or maybe even the ARH. Do you know a way to keep the crazy loudness of the headers tamed?
Would a set of Meister, Renn, SuperSprint etc slip on mufflers or cat backs do anything to tame the loudness?

Last edited by Manofsteelpt; 01-21-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt
Great, thanks for the help... Can you suggest the best set of LTH's? I was thinking MBH or maybe even the ARH. Do you know a way to keep the crazy loudness of the headers tamed?
Would a set of Meister, Renn, SuperSprint etc slip on mufflers or cat backs do anything to tame the loudness?

As far as headers, I know a lot of guys here are running Kleemanns. The price is spot on and they've been around for almost three decades. They started tuning and working on MBZ's right about the time AMG went under the same roof as Mercedes in the 80's. I have a set of their headers and smiles ear to ear here. The companies you mentioned make a fine product, in the end you have to weigh what's most important to you.

Going aftermarket in the exhaust to tone down the sound will give you the opposite effect. In my personal experience, I had the Eisenmann "sport" exhaust on my W211 55 and the sound was heaven. Today I'm running the Kleemanns and the stock CLS exhaust and while it sounds raw as hell the Eisenmann was a bit louder. So basically if you get a header, the best bet will be to keep your stock exhaust set up if you want to avoid too much noise out of your DD. You will most likely find that just running a good header will give you a more "natural" portal into your engine and the true sound it produces. The aftermarket exhaust set ups mask that sound and transform it thought different paths and padding. In that case, back to the Eisenmann which IMHO is the best sounding set up that ever happened to MBZ.

Wheeler if you're reading this I want my set up back!