C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Plasti Dipped CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Plasti Dipped CLS

Opinions, experiences, future hopes? Thinking of getting mine a custom blue pearl color... Hoping one of you guys have had your car dip and can give a recommendation of getting it done or not lol..
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
never seen that color before but I seen the matte black in real life; looked kind of tacky
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I hear it's terrible to clean and is probably not the best option for the whole car if it's daily driven and likely to get dirty.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
I hear it's terrible to clean and is probably not the best option for the whole car if it's daily driven and likely to get dirty.
Exactly that! I purchased a vehicle that was dipped(black dipped flat white). Probably one of the worst things you can do. Spend the extra money & wrap it correctly. It took me a legit 3 days to get all the dip off the major panels of the car & I never was able to get it out of the door jambs & seems. Whatever idiot sprayed the dip on there also sprayed the moldings on the car & have fun getting rubber off of rubber. I had to spray black dip over the white dip since there was no way to remove it, this was on the seals & I did the jambs as well. There was still remnants of the white dip on the car when I sold it too. The lighter/thinner its sprayed its near impossible to remove. Id strongly advise AGAINST dipping your entire CLS. The car I bought that was dipped was a 99 M Coupe & not nearly as nice of a vehicle as a CLS AMG. Don't devalue your AMG with some BS plasti-dip. Dip your wheels, some trip, emblems, grills…ok cool dip is perfect for that, but not the whole car. Not a chance in the world id remotely suggest this to anyone considering it.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Who ever sprayed your car must of not done good thick layers, as well as washing I have a pressure washer so I'm just going to buy the shampoo to foam spray it, seems all is well. There is also a spray that you can get to spray the car if you want to remove it and it wasn't sprayed correctly, it will make the dip weak and with the pressure washer it rips it right off, I'm still going to go through with it with the research I've done, getting tired off my color and want to make it more exotic looking, I'll get a photoshoot for it after it's done, Mabye some of you will change your mind about it afterwards
Old 03-15-2014, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I don't really get it, you post asking our opinions on it then tell us we are wrong and will change our minds? That makes no sense but I guess that works for me hahaha, but I'm telling you that it won't be as easy to keep looking good as a paint job over a period of time. I'm sure your photoshoot will look great, but I'd like to see a photoshoot with the plastidip a year from when you first applied it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:12 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Didn't mean it in a disrespectful way sorry lol, I was just saying that from what you said it just sounds like it wasn't applied right so maybe you didn't enjoy it as you possibly would have if it was done correctly, no means saying your wrong or anything negative. and yes of course Ive actually seen a few videos of plasti dip from a year since it was first applied from someone who did a DIY first time try, actually still peeled off in big sheets like its supposed to, but I plan on maybe changing the color on it after a few months so to spray over it and add more layers, the easier it will come off(from hours of videos ive seen and read) still thanks though for your experience I will take that in mind
Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Oh no same here man I didn't mean that in a negative way I just wasn't quite sure what you were asking in that case. But I'm curious to see how it turns out, I've seen some really nice plastidipped cars but the results just don't seem to last that long. I guess it depends where you're from too, seeing as how winter weather would probably stain and ruin plastidip faster than you can apply it, whereas some place like California probably wouldn't be as harsh on it.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:22 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
I actually have a friend who has a c63 that is plastidipped and hes had it for over a year and still is looking pretty damn nice, I can post a picture here in a sec of it for you
Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
C63 plasti dipped in "Blaze Blue" its in the middle of a wash hence the soap
Old 03-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 Coupe
Seems like you had your mind made up prior asking lol…

Im not denying the idiot previous owner & the even bigger idiot who sprayed my old M Coupe did a ****tttass job but still regardless of the "thickness" of spray, color, taping off or not taping off theres still a ton of negatives in dipping an entire vehicle no matter how great of dip job is done. I tried all kinds of removers, wd40, goo gone, pressure wash, rubber gloves, etc etc...everything I read, I tried. Have fun removing the dip on the jambs between your drivers doors & front fenders, off rubber seals, specks all inside body lines & rolls, surround of your headlights, tail lights…again I can just answer what you asked on wether its a good idea or not, IMO its fkn horrible!!! Personally I like my car so clean I can eat off any panel of the car, so all the excess dip trash that was left was really bothersome to me. Get a legit 3m vinyl wrap but then again to each his own, its your car not mine brother.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I had my wife's SLK55 dipped matte grey and it looked fantastic. I had it professionally done by the guys at dipyourcar.com. It lasted pretty well for the year we had it on. One major drawback was water spots. If it rained or got hit with a sprinkler, the spots would stick out like a sore thumb and I would have to wash and dry it immediately. Also, when the car was dirty, it looked so much worse than a car with a matte wrap. I don't know why that is, but it looked terrible dirty. This may also be dependent on the color as well. That blue C63 might fair better than dark grey

I don't know about the removal because, I had them (dipyourcar) do it before selling the car.

That being said, if I knew I would keep the color for an extended period of time I would get a wrap. I did get a few streaks in the dip and it was a pain to upkeep (water spots etc).
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
^+1, do it right and get a wrap.