C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Heat Exchanger Install for CLS , remove bumper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Heat Exchanger Install for CLS , remove bumper?

Anyone here do their own H/E install on the CLS55? Did you need to remove the bumper? Any caveats on removing the bumper if so?

I'm gearing up to get this and the CM30 on and want to get any other info I can find on the topic. I might be using wrong search terms but am just not finding a lot via search. I'm using a PLM HE with Johnson CM30.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Yes you def. need to remove your bumper. I am actually putting in a custom made one as other H/E tend to push down the bumper on the CLS as the front end is more narrow compared to E55s. I will be posting pics.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Yes, like he said. I bought a used E55 heat exachanger and it didnt really fit the CLS at all. I was able to get two holes lined up on one side, but the other side was too short if I remember correctly. Had to redrill holes. Also, I had to ziptie my oil cooler to the new h/e and cut a hole in my lower panel.

Pain in the ***, really. One more thing, I dont know what the deal was with mine but I tried adding some water wetter with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and MB antifreeze and it FOAMED AND FOAMED. I couldnt ever get it purged of air. Eventually I dumped most of it, added more distilled water and I was finally able to get it going.

Anyway, my cooling mods worked well, reducing my 1/4mile from 12.9@108 to 12.15@118.5
Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Yes bumper removal is a must. But while you're at it, you should upgrade your ic pump. I was able to fit the smaller cooler slightly behind the HE. The bottom splash shield seems to keep it snug once the bumper is secured.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by testknight
Anyone here do their own H/E install on the CLS55? Did you need to remove the bumper? Any caveats on removing the bumper if so?

I'm gearing up to get this and the CM30 on and want to get any other info I can find on the topic. I might be using wrong search terms but am just not finding a lot via search. I'm using a PLM HE with Johnson CM30.
What brand H/E are you going with?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
PLM. Still haven't gotten it on yet as I am concerned about pulling off bumper and putting it back on (not so much any other part of the H/E install). I have a new intercooler pump already so will be selling my CM30 that came with the PLM H/E.

I may take it into a shop to install for me, though I am loathe to do so.