C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS55 Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
CLS55 Fuel Injector

I have 60K miles on my W219, and it started acting like it was going to stall out at a stop light. The check engine light started blinking and white smoke came out of the exhaust. I immediately pulled over and had it towed to a local Mercedes tech. After 3 days of diagnosis he determined that two fuel injectors failed due to the previous owner running low grade gasoline in the car. He is recommending that I replace all 8 injectors at a price of $2,200. He said the labor was the same to replace 2 for the amount of diagnosis involved and installation is virtually the same amount of time. The price for 2 is $1,200.

My question for the board is - would you replace 2 and run an additive like Techron or replace all 8?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Call BIP or Eurocharged and get good 550cc injectors for a lot less. (E55 forum) Put them in yourself or find a reasonable mechanic. Tow it somewhere else. White smoke is water, either in the gas, intercooler leaking, or head gasket. Head gasket problems are rare. I would start with a bottle of dry gas in the tank. If that didn't help then pinch the hoses to the intercooler. It seems unlikely that injectors will fix your problem. Do to age and mileage you are due for a fuel pump and sending unit. The filter gets clogged and the plastic housing starts to crack and leak. You don't want that price from a Mercedes dealer. If you don't smell gas in the cabin after a fill up it's not cracked yet so put your Techron in to improve the filter after you deal with your current problem.
If your injectors truly are bad, it's no big deal, buy some used ones on Ebay, and get instruction from Youtube. Remember, the E55 is the same engine and running gear, but they are way more popular, so search for e55 parts and info.
Oh, and welcome to the board!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG (W211)
White smoke can also e unburned fuel at the catalytic convertes.
Had the same problem with one injector.

Change all the injectors!
But not at your dealership... this is tooo expensive.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
As part of a head gasket replacement, I took off my fuel rail and sent out my injectors to (Mr Injector, ebay page, in Idaho, US - for service - $102, 4-day turn around for me, but I'm in WA, US). Just for "insurance" or peace of mind, you might have your injectors serviced (tested, cleaned, filter & o-rings replaced) rather than replaced. Did the dealer provide proof of bad injector? The core would have to be bad and fail the electrical test.