C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Normal or not ? Movement felt in shift lever

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
Normal or not ? Movement felt in shift lever

I have noticed my gear shift {stick} seems to move around a bit under heavy acceleration when the trans shifts. Seems to move to the right.
I had the trans mounts inspected and replaced one of them a few months back. Haven't checked the motor mounts, that's a two man job. I don't notice any alarming movement when I rev the engine while the car is in park. I do notice some movement {flexing} in the gear selector. I like driving in the "M" mode, so my hand is always on the stick and I can feel the stick move when I'm hard on the gas. I do not feel any vibration or roughness under "normal" conditions, only when I'm "hot rodding" her. Any one else here notice the same thing with your car ? should I be concerned or is it normal ? I mentioned it to my mechanic , He didn't seem to concerned {then again, it's not HIS car}.
How many trans mounts are there on our cars ? Do the guido's {doughnuts, flex joint for the drive shaft} go bad regularly ? Could the center bearing cause the trans to move around ? I would think any of those aforementioned things would cause a constant vibration, and that is not the case. I only feel it when I'm "getting on it", beating it.
The trans fluid, filter, O rings were just replaced. Mechanic said there was quite a bit of gunk in the pan, but trans service was 50,000 over due.
I also notice when I'm on the highway and passing a car, the trans drops down two gears {from 5 to 3 when I hammer the gas} the trans takes it's sweet ole time before it goes back into high gear after down shifting. I end up up shifting the paddels to get back to high gear quicker. Any one else notice that ? I find the transmission is much more responsive/ predictable in "M" mode and I prefer driving in "M" mode. I like how the trans downshifts automatically in "M" mode, but it will go all the way to red line if I forget to upshift in "M" mode. I also find my self looking for a clutch pedal when I'm driving in "M" mode, lol.

Last edited by hvacdude; 07-03-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
It's your transmission mount. Change it before you start wearing parts like the center support bearing and u joints. While you're at it change the motor mounts as well since if the trans mount is bad ( and it is) unless you have already changed the motor mounts it's time. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
its your engine mounts actually...
Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
Thanks for your input, guys. I will let you know what I found after I check out the drive train mounts. I wish I had a hoist.