C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Round 2 of upgrades in the mix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)

Just to excited, after a long break from the first round of mods wanted relight my fire for this car and saved up for more POWER! Lol..

Car in the shop this week to have full custom exhaust done with a long tube header setup,x-pipe leaving stock mufflers on with cat delete. Then upgrading my current 84mm upper s/c pulley to the new 77mm upper clutched s/c pulley, getting the looped fuel rail installed, getting the cooling system looked at then a final custom tune to make it all come together.

After my previous disappointment some time ago with low gains on my current setup,in my sig, I am eagerly waiting for the new numbers to come out... So weird I am getting excited to hopefully finally reach my goal of 400rwhp but that's the price I pay for living at 5000ft elevation. Lol I would go nuts being at sea level where you guys are hitting the 500whp pretty easy....

Damn another sleepless night of waiting haha

Last edited by C32owner; 11-21-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
Congrats man! I have similar plans for mine. What kind of power loss do you see at that elevation. I'm at 870ft and just put down 402 hp / 455 lb-ft on a mustang dyno. I have no mods.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SoSleek
Congrats man! I have similar plans for mine. What kind of power loss do you see at that elevation. I'm at 870ft and just put down 402 hp / 455 lb-ft on a mustang dyno. I have no mods.
Thanks bud, yeah am super stoked. Well you won't believe it the power loss is massive man, it's about 15% down on power at this altitude. Plus the 15% drive train loss.. Stock form I out down only 348Rwhp, I know sad isn't it lol, brought me to tears. That's the power I was putting down in my C32 amg at the coast, sea level. Anyway I added the 84mm upper SC pulley and belt wrap kit with a tune and only gained 15Rwhp with that setup so last dyno was at 363Rwhp as per my sig. So making big changes now to hopefully really get back what I lost because of altitude.

Your car seems bang on the money at 402Rwhp in stock form. Nice and strong at nearly 1000ft. You wouldn't loose to much power being up there, at the very most 1psi boost only.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Well update time. Exhaust is completed.. Little sneak shot I was given of the custom headers made for my baby.. Just look at this piece of art!!! Wow I can't wait to get back home and pickup the ride..
Attached Thumbnails Round 2 of upgrades in the mix-craigs-headers-my-roll-cage-006-1.jpg  
Old 12-10-2015, 02:53 PM

2011 CLS63 AMG
Who made the headers? Cheaper than Renntech at 7k? I would consider something for my CLS63 but don't want to spend a fortune.

Mike.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Johnson
Who made the headers? Cheaper than Renntech at 7k? I would consider something for my CLS63 but don't want to spend a fortune.

Mike.
They were fabricated at an exhaust shop here in town... They are not renntech or mbh.. Just custom made setup that I think is even better! These are serious bad boys 7k for exhaust is absolutely absurd!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 AM

2011 CLS63 AMG
Nice! I would love to do some exhaust stuff to my ride but yea spending 10k on exhaust is a bit insane! LOL...

Any chance your shop is wanting to make some more? Dam just saw you are in South Africa... Not sure what shipping would be like... But hey for the right price who knows...

Mike.

Originally Posted by C32owner
They were fabricated at an exhaust shop here in town... They are not renntech or mbh.. Just custom made setup that I think is even better! These are serious bad boys 7k for exhaust is absolutely absurd!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Yeah I think shipping would be ridiculously expensive but the bigger challenge would be is they would need a left hand drive car to be able to mock up the exhaust as we are right hand drive here. I can't wait to see and hear this bad boy when I get home. The power jump should be awesome as well!!! Those headers are huge and long!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Wow, those header do look killer! I think this second round of mods is REALLY going to wake the beast! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when it's finished. When do you think it will be ready? Also, is the fuel rail required for these mods?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SoSleek
Wow, those header do look killer! I think this second round of mods is REALLY going to wake the beast! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when it's finished. When do you think it will be ready? Also, is the fuel rail required for these mods?
Thanks mate, yeah for sure it's killer setup. Tuner has advised he is leaving the fuel rail out as you quite correct in saying it is not needed now. When I upgrade the injectors that is when I will do fuel rail as well. Car is out the exhaust shop now. So the smaller pulley is going in next, then the cooling system is going to be checked out then finally the retune will be done.. Cannot wait. Hopefully get it end of next week. So good timing for when I return home.. Will definitely provide the feedback.. Good or bad.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 AM

Woohooo it's Christmas time for me today, as I am finally back home from my long trip away. Car is ready and waiting for collection today. Can't wait to go collect her later. From what I been told my goal of 400rwhp has been reached but haven't been told of the actually number, but can't wait to see the printout and feel the beast.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:34 PM

Ok well after burning a tank of gas today after collecting the new gas to noise converter here is the verdict. The exhaust is a massive 88mm, and big header pipes and can't believe that even after installing the new 77mm clutched upper pulley I have lost boost... With stock exhaust and 84 mm upper I was boosting max 8.7psi... Now after full exhaust and smaller 77mm upper I am boosting about 8.5psi only.. That being said I have managed to reach my goal which was set at 400whp as it is now at 409whp and torque has increased again to 696nm at the wheels. The throttle response is like instant now and definitely more sensitive. The power curve is very linear however I have the feeling that the car possibly pulled better before... Can't be right though as there was a power increase from previous 363 to 409whp, I think the issue now is the exhaust when getting on it ,is so freaking Loud that it has a placebo affect that you have 50000hp under taps however not so.... Almost like the cheap ricers, where the go doesn't match th show... Thank goodness there is no drone at all while cruising and light throttle it's ever so slightly louder than stock, get on it though and people and cars clear the streets, it's like nascar has hit the South African roads haha
Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 PM

Well now, I think my fears have been laid to rest, after feeling a little subdued thinking my last round of mods should have netted a little more seat of the pants stuff, it seems my pants are a little numb lol.

Yesterday was perfect to check out how the car was performing as I saw an sl65 AMG v12 bi turbo sitting up my rear end while doing a little bit of spirited driving, he obviously heard my exhaust sounding like thunder, and only a 55 badge lol.... So I slowed him up on purpose as a traffic light was up ahead waiting for it to turn red so we could run side by side. My plan worked, we were side by side lined up waiting for that sweet green color so we could both get it on. That Sl65 is a sexy beast for sure. Had the mrs with me , he was single up. Lights change green and dammit the cars behind us must have shat themselves proper as 1000hp and 20cylinders all beating themselves to death came under fire. He got a slight jump on me as my tyres are shot and spinning properly, I finally hooked and ended up just behind his passenger door where I stayed with him up to about 70mph as the double lane became single so I had to let off. I was super impressed with the car and couldn't believe how she sat right there in his corner, I am sure with longer runs he would have pulled on me but certainly didn't pull away as I expected. Man I am super chuffed with how the car is running.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Remember that PSI isnt a direct measurement of air entering you intake but rather a measurement of force inside the intake. You may modify the exhaust side and see less PSI on the intake side but still make much higher horsepower. This is because your engine is breathing easier and allowing air to enter at a much higher rate (higher CFM). I'm glad to hear you broke your Goal HP as THAT is all that counts! Congrats!!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C32owner
Well now, I think my fears have been laid to rest, after feeling a little subdued thinking my last round of mods should have netted a little more seat of the pants stuff, it seems my pants are a little numb lol.

Yesterday was perfect to check out how the car was performing as I saw an sl65 AMG v12 bi turbo sitting up my rear end while doing a little bit of spirited driving, he obviously heard my exhaust sounding like thunder, and only a 55 badge lol.... So I slowed him up on purpose as a traffic light was up ahead waiting for it to turn red so we could run side by side. My plan worked, we were side by side lined up waiting for that sweet green color so we could both get it on. That Sl65 is a sexy beast for sure. Had the mrs with me , he was single up. Lights change green and dammit the cars behind us must have shat themselves proper as 1000hp and 20cylinders all beating themselves to death came under fire. He got a slight jump on me as my tyres are shot and spinning properly, I finally hooked and ended up just behind his passenger door where I stayed with him up to about 70mph as the double lane became single so I had to let off. I was super impressed with the car and couldn't believe how she sat right there in his corner, I am sure with longer runs he would have pulled on me but certainly didn't pull away as I expected. Man I am super chuffed with how the car is running.
Sounds like a fun traffic light race. A couple questions:
1. Do you have a sanctioned 1/4 mile strip near you where you could see just how fast it is?
2. What kind of chassis dyno did they tune your car on?
Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Uber Schnell
Sounds like a fun traffic light race. A couple questions:
1. Do you have a sanctioned 1/4 mile strip near you where you could see just how fast it is?
2. What kind of chassis dyno did they tune your car on?
Sure is good fun, really loving the car at the moment. The car will be at sea level for the next few days and doing about 1000miles so am interested to see the fuel consumption figures.. Also going to try slap her on a dyno to check sea level figures and boosting numbers.

Yeah we do have a sanctioned drag strip which I intend to get involved with. I just need to pickup some new sticky tyres as my current ones are shot and can't cope with the new power and torque numbers at all.. So think the runs will hurt badly because of it. Am looking at yokohama AD08 as replacement tyres to my current setup.

The dyno is a inertia and load bearing dyno, so it's proper as if truly on the road numbers.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:05 AM

Well after recently returning from a trip to the coast ie sea level I can confirm a few numbers. There is a lot more power down there! Man I envy you boys at the lower altitudes on the planet lol. At home were I am boosting around 8.5psi or so at 5000ft elevation, down at the coast I was boosting at 13psi, so we basically loosing just about 1psi per 1000ft in altitude. I put the car on the dyno while there needless to say it was pretty much a waste of time as the heat soak is chronic. As an example the first run the car made way less than what it did at 5000ft lol... Pathetic... Eventually showed the guys the IAT on my phone and they were like holly %&#@ so they sprayed water etc to let it cool down somewhat... Eventually ended up with a little over 450whp however there was still more in it as it hest soaked so quickly... The temperature in the dyno room was a scorcher of a day to at 38deg C / 100F. My luck came to an end pretty soon a few days later while still on vacation when I got the dreaded fuel smell and when uplifting the back seat found alot of fuel sloshing around. Hopefully getting the car sorted out next week when my tuner is back. I still can't get used to the new exhaust system, what a ton of fun and definitely relit my fire within to keep this baby for years to come. As a matter of interest I havnt as yet noticed a huge fuel burn increase either and economy still seems decent. Picture attached of my trip down to the coast. Not bad
Attached Thumbnails Round 2 of upgrades in the mix-20151222_174118.jpg  

Last edited by C32owner; 01-08-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:34 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Heat Soak? Have you not yet modified the cooling system? Do you have the Bosch 010 or Johnson HE pump yet? What about an after market heat exchanger? That should be one of the first modifications done especially when considering all of the other power goodies!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:21 AM

I have the bosch 010 and it's hard wire to run all the time with ignition. Still stock cooling system. It's booked in to the shop next week to get the fuel sender sorted and will get the cooling system split up. Will check my options for a bigger heat exchanger as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:34 PM

So thought I would update with a little exhaust sound clip after my recent mods, this is a cold start up and a few revs.. Just love the exhaust sound.

Last edited by C32owner; 03-10-2016 at 08:08 PM.