Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CLS 55
LED license plate light upgrade

Got these from Amazon for $22.
Part number for CLS's
You can see I shaved the trim to be able to remove the old unit and install the new one
Other side
Perfect.. they reflect off the bumper. Not to bright and no error code.
So I decided to upgrade my plate lights to LED. I searched on the net and on the forum on a "how to" but didn't find anything. Let me say I did start out with the "error" free led light bulb replacement and that didn't work. They tripped the lighting "error", plus they would come on and off. So I found this company and spend the $22 to get the direct replacement LED housing. Hope the pics help, if you have any questions ask away.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CLS 55
I taped off the area so not to scratch anything. This also gave me the pattern I needed to trim the opening. You can see the old LED bulbs I am replacing with the new unit
Remove all the trunk liner by pulling the plastic speed clips. The wire you see hanging is for my back up camera.
Push the bottom clip and push the unit forward and you should be able to pull the unit out once you shaved the opening
Here's a couple of pics on what you have to remove to get the old housing out. Keep in mind the chrome trim on the trunk is plastic and glued down to the trunk. Do NOT try to pull the chrome trunk trim, you will break it.

Last edited by CLS55 savage; 10-29-2016 at 10:54 PM.