Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
need purchase advice

sorry guys I know this is my first post but I need help ASAP

i am about to purchase either of this two cars tomorrow

theres 2 MB cls55 amg that I am looking at.

first one is 2006 mb cls55 amg with 100,000 miles owner wants 14, 000 cash

second is 2006 mb cls55 amg 140, 000 miles owner wants 12, 000 cash

is it worth it paying the extra 2 grand for 40, 000 miles less?

Both have always been maintained through Mercedes dealer.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS 63 AMG
If I were in your position (and I was in a similar position 2 weeks ago), I would look at other factors as well, not just the mileage. Mileage is not the end-all be all in terms of determining how long the car will last. Can you get the following information from the owners?

1) how many previous owners were there for each car?
2) when,where, how often did they change oil, and when was the last time they did a major oil change (transmission, power steering, differential, etc....)
3) what options are on the car? some have cooled seats (very useful in summer), some have auxilary ports on the standard nav, while others don't
4) what type of wheels are on the car and what is the tire tread like?
5) which car "moves" your heart? If they are different colors, which one do you prefer more?
6) what kind of work has been done on the car, specifically wearable items like brake pads, tyres, under carriage parts etc...
7) have you checked the carfax for any major accidents or insurance claim amounts against the car? If there was any sign of accident, was it fixed at MB or local mechanic/body shop?
8) what is the interior condition like? any buttons not working, chrome or paint bits peeling off etc...?
9) if you look on the dashboard command menu, you can find out the MPG of the car, take a look at that to make sure it's not some funky number (like 5 mpg lol...)
10) if the two cars were EXACTLY the same, I would pay the extra two grand for the shorter mileage car *UNLESS* I was planning on spending more money to tune the car with aftermarket items (carbon fiber front lip / diffuser, dashcam, etc...). It really depends on your pocket.

In the end, when I choose a car, there seems to be a single rule above all else. Buy one that your heart desires, not the one your brain thinks is a good investment etc..., because later down the road, you WILL regret it
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz Cls55 AMG
Thanks for your input

Both cars have had 2 owners only

the 140k miles cls55 owner does have records from MB of oils changes and maintenance paper work from Mercedes Benz dealer while the owner of the 100k Miles cls55 does not have any records/receipts of any maintenance done to the car but claims maintenance has been done when needed.

also I like the color more of the one with the 140k mileage. That alone and proof of maintenance records has me leaning towards the 140k Miles cls55 over the other one even though it’s lower mileage and gives me a better peace of mind having proof of maintenance records etc
Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Joey213
Thanks for your input

Both cars have had 2 owners only

the 140k miles cls55 owner does have records from MB of oils changes and maintenance paper work from Mercedes Benz dealer while the owner of the 100k Miles cls55 does not have any records/receipts of any maintenance done to the car but claims maintenance has been done when needed.

also I like the color more of the one with the 140k mileage. That alone and proof of maintenance records has me leaning towards the 140k Miles cls55 over the other one even though it’s lower mileage and gives me a better peace of mind having proof of maintenance records etc
Yeah, I think color goes a long way. I have a silver CLS 63 AMG, but just because of color, I've been contemplating selling this car again (bought 2 weeks ago) to get into the pristine condition white CLS 350. It's a huge downgrade in power, but along with that I will get (better gas mileage, the color I want, the updated rear tail lights, and a much cheaper cost to fix something if it goes wrong). I love the AMG, but the crazy MPG and silver color kinda takes away more than you would imagine

I might think about getting the car wrapped or even painted white, later down the road. Anyways, hope you make the right decision
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Factors for Buyer's consideration other than mileage is appropriate for cars less than 100k miles. When any car has 140k miles one has to ask, how miles remaining for the life cycle of the car? If you plan to keep it for 3 years, that's a min of 30k miles on top of the 140k miles. Realistically to keep the car on the road at reasonable performance for an AMG, it will take some significant dollars.

To lessen this concern for high mileage cars, the 100k milage car appears to be the better choice. Pay the $2k upfront, or much more down the road. "The most expensive MB is the one cheapest one."
Old 07-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Without seeing the vehicles and taking them for a spin, I would be more inclined to go with the proof of maintenance car, 140k one, as in my view that owner maintained it with MB and has records to prove making him someone that looks after their vehicle better than someone giving their 'word' general condition inside and out on both cars will also tell which has been more cared for.