C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Cls55amg 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Cls55amg iwc
Cls55amg 2006

My car on the rear drivers side kept dropping if it was parked up for a couple of days, but on starting the engine it would raise. However it then stopped raising at all (I know I should have had it looked at when the fault first occurred ) in the last 2 days my partner has swapped the air bag unit on the rear drivers side and the valve block but fault still remains. It has a 5508 code on the scanner which I can see from forums is common for a number of issues not just the airline fault it represents. We don’t want to keep buying parts for it.
the compressor starts when the engine is started but cuts out as soon as the visit workshop is displayed on the dash. Has anyone encountered this is it more likely to be a fault in the pipe to that bag or could the compressor be faulty.
any advise is much appreciated as we are at our wits end with it.
The car is parked up at home so we are limited to underneath access and worried about driving it to the garage with it so low at one corner
Old 12-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi and welcome to MBworld!

Thank you for the introduction and when you have time please post a photo of your car.

I am moving your post to the W219 forum for help from fellow owners. Good luck troubleshooting the problem!

Bob
Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Stacyb
My car on the rear drivers side kept dropping if it was parked up for a couple of days, but on starting the engine it would raise. However it then stopped raising at all (I know I should have had it looked at when the fault first occurred ) in the last 2 days my partner has swapped the air bag unit on the rear drivers side and the valve block but fault still remains. It has a 5508 code on the scanner which I can see from forums is common for a number of issues not just the airline fault it represents. We don’t want to keep buying parts for it.
the compressor starts when the engine is started but cuts out as soon as the visit workshop is displayed on the dash. Has anyone encountered this is it more likely to be a fault in the pipe to that bag or could the compressor be faulty.
any advise is much appreciated as we are at our wits end with it.
The car is parked up at home so we are limited to underneath access and worried about driving it to the garage with it so low at one corner
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am surprised with it leaking while parked over 2 days (which sounds like a leaking airbag) that you guys changed out the airbag strut but even with the new one it fails to lift with the compressor running. I can only guess its other a hole in the pressure line or stuck valve somewhere. Sorry cant be of more use.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
Did you install the bag the correct way? Did you use star? Which brand of bag?
Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I don't hesitate to throw parts at my airmatic. They are all nearly 15 years old, and near the end of their service life. I found a nearly new arnott compressor on ebay and put it in with a new filter just for prevention. A spray bottle of soapy water is a good diagnostic tool in this case. There is a rebuild kit for the pump on ebay too. You also might find more options looking for E55 parts, but it's all the same, just more common.