CLS55 AMG active exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
CLS55 AMG active exhaust options?

Hi fellas,

Someone may find it funny but I'd like to make my CLS55 AMG exhaust quieter.

I got this car recently and it should have this exhaust setup:
  1. Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers With Sport Cats
  2. GTHaus Meisterschaft GT exhaust
Currently exhaust noise is pretty high and I'd like to make it quieter while I'm cruising so I could listen to some music. I even consider getting stock CLS55 exhaust but ideally I'd like to have an active (or valve) exhaust which I could control remotely.

I just checked Google and it seems exhaust options are pretty limited for CLS55. Though idk if E55 and CLS55 share same exhaust.

Fellas, do you know any active/valve exhaust systems for CLS55 on the market?

TIA
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Get the stock cat back and then install some electronic cutouts just after the resonator if you want to be able to switch between 'loud' and 'quiet'. I have headers with no cats and stock resonator and mufflers its quiet crusing and loud on full throttle. I may get cutouts for being naughty though.
The following users liked this post:
Sergey84 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:24 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Originally Posted by PieRat
Get the stock cat back and then install some electronic cutouts just after the resonator if you want to be able to switch between 'loud' and 'quiet'. I have headers with no cats and stock resonator and mufflers its quiet crusing and loud on full throttle. I may get cutouts for being naughty though.
That's my plan to get a stock catback because this car came w/o any stock parts.

It seems that CLS got less exhaust options than his E211 brother and unfortunately neither of those options comes with valves.

Which only means if I want valves I have to build a custom exhaust.

I got a reply from Eisenman dealer and they told me Eisenman currently doesn't offer anything for CLS55. I also contacted Meisterschaft and they told me they only have 2 options for CLS: HP and GT. Also they mentioned I could buy a GTC kit from them. Such GTC kit includes remote. I guess it's an electronic valve. I'm currently waiting for more info on the GTC kit. I'm not sure but probably building a custom exhaust with some aftermarket valves and boost controllers will be cheaper than buying a GTC kit.

PS: I watched few videos regarding vacuum valves and it looks like it's better than electronic because it opens and closes valve instantly. Also with boost controller you can precisely control WHEN valve will be opened. For example I want my exhaust to be quiet while I'm cruising. It means I don't want my exhaust to be super loud till I reach 2500 rpms.

PPS: Unfortunately at this moment I'm busy with work, personal stuff and other car project so I guess this custom exhaust project may take a while. I just can't ask random shop to build me a plug and play custom valved exhaust and sit with open checkbook. We'll see...
Old 02-22-2020, 10:17 AM

W140, CLS55, SL65
So far I only purchased a stock full cat back exhaust. I'm a bit busy with my W140 and will try to build an active exhaust later probably in summer or about.

PS: I wonder how headers affect exhaust noise on these cars? Should I keep headers or should I go back to stock headers?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
What headers do you have currently? I find the stainless steel headers are thin so they can let a little more noise escape, you could try a set of mild steel headers which I think would insulate more sound. Removing headers will lose you a lot of horsepower..
Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 PM

W140, CLS55, SL65
Mine should be Renntech but I'm not sure. Idk where or if Renntech stamped their headers. I'd like to verify if I really have Renntech ones.